Significant Market Power in Telecommunications: Theoretical and Practical Aspects
AbstractFrom an economic perspective efficiency and innovation are crucial aspects of functional competition in telecommunications where one has to take into account sector specific problems. Besides those specific aspects we consider the topic of significant market power and its evolution. As a special problem we focus on product bundling issues and aspects of network dynamics. As regards policy conclusions there is need for differentiated approaches. We emphasize the need for a dynamic perspective of competition in telecommunications markets. With respect to oligopolistic markets we present as a theoretically new approach an application of the Hitch-Sweezy model of competition - the implication is that (price)regulation should be restricted to a very small field.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universitätsbibliothek Wuppertal, University Library in its series EIIW Discussion paper with number disbei131.
Length: 37 Pages
Date of creation: May 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://elpub.bib.uni-wuppertal.de
Telecommunications; market power; network economies;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D4 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Paul J.J. Welfens, 2006. "Digitale Innovationen, Neue Märkte und Telekomregulierung," EIIW Discussion paper disbei142, Universitätsbibliothek Wuppertal, University Library.
- Paul J.J. Welfens, 2005. "Schattenregulierung in der Telekommunikationswirtschaft," EIIW Discussion paper disbei137, Universitätsbibliothek Wuppertal, University Library.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frank Hoffmann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.