Role of the U.S. Dollar in International Financial System
AbstractIn the study we focus on theoretical and practical aspects of the role of the U.S. dollar in current international monetary system. We shortly describe the historical evolution of monetary system when it comes to the dollar position in it. Subsequently, we assess current status of the U.S. dollar in financial markets and its share on international foreign exchange reserves. In the application part, we examine how changes in the U.S. dollar exchange rate affect countries operating in the pegged exchange regime. At the same time, we focus on the problem of current account deficit of the U.S. balance of payments and its relationship to the export-oriented countries pegged to the U.S. dollar.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economic Policy, Faculty of National Economy, University of Economics in Bratislava in its series EAPG Working Paper Series with number 002.
Length: 54 pages
Date of creation: 28 Jan 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Dolnozemská cesta 1, Bratislava 852 35
Phone: +421 7 67291 111
Web page: http://nhf.euba.sk/katedry/katedra-hospodarskej-politiky
More information through EDIRC
Bretton-Wood monetary system; U.S. dollar; pegged exchange regime; fixed exchange regime; balance of payment; terms of trade;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-02-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2011-02-05 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-IFN-2011-02-05 (International Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2011-02-05 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2011-02-05 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-OPM-2011-02-05 (Open Economy Macroeconomic)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martin Labaj).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.