AbstractThis study explores the consequences and origins of contemporary differences in well-being across ethnic groups within countries. We construct measures of ethnic inequality combining ethnolinguistic maps on the spatial distribution of groups with satellite images of light density at night. Ethnic inequality is strongly inversely related to per capita income; this pattern holds when we condition on the overall degree of spatial inequality -that is also associated with underdevelopment. We further show that differences in geographic endowments across ethnic homelands explain a sizable portion of contemporary ethnic inequality. This deeplyrooted inequality in geographic attributes across ethnic regions is also negatively related to comparative development. We also show that ethnic inequality goes in tandem with lower levels development also within countries. Using micro-level data from the Afrobarometer surveys we show that individuals from the same ethnic group are worse off when they reside in districts with a high degree of ethnic inequality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Brown University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2012-14.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912
Ethnicity; Diversity; Inequality; Development; Geography;
Other versions of this item:
- Alesina, Alberto & Michalopoulos, Stelios, 2013. "Ethnic Inequality," CAGE Online Working Paper Series 154, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Alberto F. Alesina & Stelios Michalopoulos & Elias Papaioannou, 2012. "Ethnic Inequality," NBER Working Papers 18512, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alesina, Alberto F & Michalopoulos, Stelios & Papaioannou, Elias, 2012. "Ethnic Inequality," CEPR Discussion Papers 9225, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
- O43 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Institutions and Growth
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-11-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEM-2012-11-11 (Demographic Economics)
- NEP-GEO-2012-11-11 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-URE-2012-11-11 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klaus Desmet & Ignacio Ortuño-Ortín & Romain Wacziarg, 2011.
"The Political Economy of Linguistic Cleavages,"
Vives discussion paper series
20, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Faculteit Economie en Bedrijfswetenschappen, Vives.
- Desmet, Klaus & Ortuño, Ignacio & Wacziarg, Romain, 2012. "The political economy of linguistic cleavages," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/14226, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Ashwini Deshpande, 2000. "Does Caste Still Define Disparity? A Look at Inequality in Kerala, India," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 322-325, May.
- Vernon Henderson & Adam Storeygard & David N. Weil, 2009.
"Measuring Economic Growth from Outer Space,"
2009-8, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Raphaёl Franck & Ilia Rainer, 2012. "Does the Leader’s Ethnicity Matter? Ethnic Favoritism, Education and Health in Sub-Saharan Africa," Working Papers 2012-06, Department of Economics, Bar-Ilan University.
- Bockstette, Valerie & Chanda, Areendam & Putterman, Louis, 2002.
" States and Markets: The Advantage of an Early Start,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 7(4), pages 347-69, December.
- Louis Putterman & Valerie Bockstette, 2000. "States and Markets:the Advantage of an Early Start," Working Papers 2000-12, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Easterly, William, 2007. "Inequality does cause underdevelopment: Insights from a new instrument," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 755-776, November.
- Stelios Michalopoulos, 2011.
"The Origins of Technolinguistic Diversity,"
Economics Working Papers
0095, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- James Fenske, 2012.
"African Polygamy: Past and Present,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/2012-20, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Massimo Morelli & Dominic Rohner, 2013. "Resource Concentration and Civil Wars," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 13.08, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Alberto Alesina & Johann Harnoss & Hillel Rapoport, 2013.
"Birthplace Diversity and Economic Prosperity,"
NBER Working Papers
18699, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Alesina & Johann Harnoss & Hillel Rapoport, 2013. "Birthplace Diversity and Economic Prosperity," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 1304, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Alesina, Alberto & Harnoss, Johann & Rapoport, Hillel, 2013. "Birthplace Diversity and Economic Prosperity," IZA Discussion Papers 7568, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Burgess, Robin & Jedwab, Remi & Miguel, Edward & Morjaria, Ameet & Padró i Miquel, Gerard, 2013.
"The Value of Democracy: Evidence from Road Building in Kenya,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9627, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robin Burgess & Remi Jedwab & Edward Miguel & Ameet Morjaria & Gerard Padro i Miquel, 2013. "The Value of Democracy: Evidence from Road Building in Kenya," STICERD - Economic Organisation and Public Policy Discussion Papers Series 45, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Robin Burgess & Remi Jedwab & Edward Miguel & Ameet Morjaria & Gerard Padró i Miquel, 2013. "The Value of Democracy: Evidence from Road Building in Kenya," NBER Working Papers 19398, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Brown Economics Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.