Cantillon, Quesnay, and the Tableau Economique
AbstractSchumpeter argued, long ago, that Quesnay's tableau economique was based on Cantillon, but this claim has never been spelled out in detail and seems not to have been generally accepted, since many writers still write of the tableau economique as though it were Quesnay's alone. This paper examines the relation between Cantillon and Quesnay in more detail than before and argues (a) that the relation between Cantillon's analysis of circulation and Quesnay's tableau is too close to be a coincidence, but (b) that the use Quesnay put it to is quite different from its role in Cantillon's system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK in its series Bristol Economics Discussion Papers with number 05/577.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2005
Date of revision:
Cantillon; Quesnay; Tableau Economique;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B11 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought through 1925 - - - Preclassical (Ancient, Medieval, Mercantilist, Physiocratic)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-11-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2005-11-19 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HPE-2005-11-19 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- V. Foley, 1973. "An Origin of the Tableau Economique," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 5(1), pages 121-150, Spring.
- Loic Charles, 2003. "The visual history of the Tableau Economique," European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 527-550.
- Jose Benitez-Rochel & Luis Robles-Teigeiro, 2003. "The foundations of the Tableau Economique in Boisguilbert and Cantillon," European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 231-248.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sharon Bryant).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.