Structural Breaks and Convergence in Output Growth in the EU
AbstractConvergence is defined for a multivariate time-series model of output with breaks in intercepts and in time trends. Using OECD quarterly data on output from 1980, the convergence hypothesis is tested across seven European economies, Belgium, Finland, France, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain and the UK. On the strictest definition, the hypothesis of convergence of output can be rejected but, with a weaker definition, there is some evidence of convergence for the five countries Belgium, Finland, France, the Netherlands and the UK. The data is consistent with a model in which each country's trend output is related to a common European stochastic trend. This trend output is estimated and graphed for each country.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK in its series Bristol Economics Discussion Papers with number 03/544.
Length: 14 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2003
Date of revision:
Convergence; Output Growth; Permanent Stochastic Trends;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-EEC-2003-09-24 (European Economics)
- NEP-ETS-2003-09-24 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-MAC-2003-09-24 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Li, Qing & Papell, David, 1999. "Convergence of international output Time series evidence for 16 OECD countries," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 267-280, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sharon Bryant).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.