An Empirical Investigation on the Efficiency, Capacity and Ownership of Italian Airports
AbstractIn this paper we study the efficiency of Italian airports applying a DEA model to a sample of 34 airports. We consider two outputs: aircraft movements and passengers. We find that large airports are more efficient that domestic and regional ones, i.e. small airports have spare capacity since they are, on average, more distant from the VRS frontier than large airports. Moreover, the latter are operating under decreasing returns to scale while increasing returns to scale arise in the small ones. These findings imply that further investments to develop large airports will lead to higher average costs. The Tobit regression on the estimated DEA scores shows that efficiency is positively related with the so—called hub premium (i.e. an airline dominates an airport) and with privatization, and it is negatively affected by military activities and season effects. Hence we suggest that airport’s privatization, incentives to invest in large airports (which are close to saturation of their capacity) and development plans to improve the activities in domestic and regional airports may form the benchmarks of air transportation policy in Italy at least in the short—run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics and Technology Management, University of Bergamo in its series Working Papers with number 0703.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: viale Marconi 5, 24044 Dalmine
Web page: http://www.unibg.it/struttura/en_struttura.asp?cerca=en_dige_intro
More information through EDIRC
Airport efficiency; DEA analysis; privatization; capacity;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L93 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Air Transportation
- L59 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Other
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2012. "Bootstrapping the Malmquist indexes for Italian airports," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 403-411.
- Tiziana D’Alfonso & Cinzia Daraio & Alberto Nastasi, 2013. "Assesing the Impact of Competition on the Efficiency of Italian Airports," DIAG Technical Reports 2013-01, Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering, Universita' degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza".
- Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2010. "Airport efficiency: a DEA two stage analysis of the Italian commercial airports," MPRA Paper 34366, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 10 Oct 2010.
- Roberto Colombi & Gianmaria Martini & Giorgio Vittadini, 2011. "A Stochastic Frontier Model with short-run and long-run inefficiency random effects," Working Papers 1101, Department of Economics and Technology Management, University of Bergamo.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (University of Bergamo Library).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.