Derman and Taleb's The Illusions of Dynamic Replication: A Comment
AbstractWhile as a matter of pure chance and mathematical manipulations, the Black- Scholes formula could have been accidentally obtained much earlier by making use of put-call parity, a simple thought experiment demonstrates the inconclusiveness of any such derivation as regards the validity of the resulting pricing equation. In particular, the use of a non-stochastic discount rate common to both the call and the put op- tions is inconsistent with modern equilibrium capital asset pricing theory. Additional observations are made.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Boston University - Department of Economics in its series Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series with number WP2006-019.
Length: 05 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2006
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Doriana Ruffino & Jonathan Treussard, 2006. "Derman and Taleb's 'The illusions of dynamic replication': a comment," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(5), pages 365-367.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jawwad Noor, 2006.
Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
WP2006-021, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Jawwad Noor, 2006. "Menu-Dependent Self-Control," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000001061, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Jawwad Noor & Norio Takeoka, 2011. "Menu-Dependent Self-Control," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2011-041, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- John C. Harsanyi, 1953. "Cardinal Utility in Welfare Economics and in the Theory of Risk-taking," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 61, pages 434.
- Laibson, David I., 1997.
"Golden Eggs and Hyperbolic Discounting,"
4481499, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Per Krusell & Burhanettin Kuruscu & Anthony A. Smith, Jr., .
"Time Orientation and Asset Prices,"
GSIA Working Papers
2001-13, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Noor, Jawwad, 2007.
"Commitment and self-control,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 1-34, July.
- Jawwad Noor, 2005. "Commitment and Self-Control," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2005-014, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Jawwad Noor, 2005. "Commitment and Self-Control," Microeconomics 0509008, EconWPA.
- Read, Daniel & van Leeuwen, Barbara, 1998. "Predicting Hunger: The Effects of Appetite and Delay on Choice, , , ," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 189-205, November.
- Faruk Gul & Wolfgang Pesendorfer, 2004.
"Self-Control and the Theory of Consumption,"
Econometric Society, vol. 72(1), pages 119-158, 01.
- Ted O'Donoghue & Matthew Rabin, 1996.
"Doing It Now or Later,"
1172, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- O'Donoghue, Ted & Rabin, Matthew, 1997. "Doing It Now or Later," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt7t44m5b0, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Ted O'Donoghue and Matthew Rabin ., 1997. "Doing It Now or Later," Economics Working Papers 97-253, University of California at Berkeley.
- W. Pesendorfer & F. Gul, 1999.
"Temptation and Self-Control,"
Princeton Economic Theory Papers
99f1, Economics Department, Princeton University.
- John C. Harsanyi, 1955. "Cardinal Welfare, Individualistic Ethics, and Interpersonal Comparisons of Utility," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63, pages 309.
- Peleg, Bezalel & Yaari, Menahem E, 1973. "On the Existence of a Consistent Course of Action when Tastes are Changing," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(3), pages 391-401, July.
- Nassim N. Taleb, 2014. "Risk Neutral Option Pricing With Neither Dynamic Hedging nor Complete Markets, A Measure-Theoretic Proof," Papers 1405.2609, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Sullivan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.