A Note on Financial Frictions and Risky Corporate Debt in Relation to Cooley and Quadrini (2001)
AbstractWe o¤er clari?cations on Cooley-Quadrini (2001) as regards ?nancial frictions and risky corporate-debt pricing. Even in a frictionless world, the promised rate on corpo- rate debt is not identical across ?rms and across capital structures and it is not equal to the risk-free market interest rate. Frictions are unnecessary for credit spreads to arise. Only with risk-neutrality at the macro-level do interest rates on corporate debt re?ect default-probabilities and in general, assuming that lenders set interest rates re- ?ecting their personal risk-neutrality systematically biases promised rates relative to market-based rates. To the extent that the ?rm?s entire ?nancial structure is traded in ?nancial markets, this bias introduces an exploitable arbitrage opportunity.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Boston University - Department of Economics in its series Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series with number WP2006-017.
Length: 12 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2006
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Merton, Robert C., 1973.
"On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates,"
684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974. "On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Thomas F. Cooley & Vincenzo Quadrini, 2001.
"Financial Markets and Firm Dynamics,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1286-1310, December.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A. & Rubinstein, Mark, 1979. "Option pricing: A simplified approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 229-263, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Sullivan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.