Lot Sizing in General Assembly Systems with Setup Costs, Setup Times and Multiple Constrained Resources
AbstractWe introduce a heuristic method for finding good feasible solutions for multi-product lot sizing problems with general assembly structures, multiple constrained resources, and non-zero setup costs and setup times. We evaluate the performance of this heuristic by comparing its solutions to optimal solutions of small randomly generated problems, and to time-truncated Optimization Subroutine Library (OSL) solutions of medium-sized randomly generated problems. In the first case, the heuristic locates solutions averaging 4% worse than optimal in less than 1% of time required by OSL. The heuristic solutions to medium-sized problems are approximately 26% better than solutions OSL finds after 10,000 CPU seconds, and the heuristic finds these solutions in approximately 10% of OSL's time.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Bonn, Germany in its series Discussion Paper Serie B with number 346.
Date of creation: Jun 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Bonn Graduate School of Economics, University of Bonn, Adenauerallee 24 - 26, 53113 Bonn, Germany
Fax: +49 228 73 6884
Web page: http://www.bgse.uni-bonn.de/index.php?id=517
Lot sizing; general assembly system; heuristics; integer programming applications;
Other versions of this item:
- Elena Katok & Holly S. Lewis & Terry P. Harrison, 1998. "Lot Sizing in General Assembly Systems with Setup Costs, Setup Times, and Multiple Constrained Resources," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(6), pages 859-877, June.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Helber, Stefan & Sahling, Florian, 2010.
"A fix-and-optimize approach for the multi-level capacitated lot sizing problem,"
International Journal of Production Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 123(2), pages 247-256, February.
- Helber, Stefan & Sahling, Florian, 2008. "A Fix-and-Optimize Approach for the Multi-Level Capacitated Lot Sizing Problems," Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover dp-393, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Brahimi, Nadjib & Dauzere-Peres, Stephane & Najid, Najib M. & Nordli, Atle, 2006. "Single item lot sizing problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 168(1), pages 1-16, January.
- BELVAUX, Gaetan & WOLSEY, Laurence A., 1998. "Lot-sizing problems: modelling issues and a specialized branch-and-cut system BC-PROD," CORE Discussion Papers 1998049, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Sarker, Bhaba R. & Diponegoro, Ahmad, 2009. "Optimal production plans and shipment schedules in a supply-chain system with multiple suppliers and multiple buyers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 194(3), pages 753-773, May.
- Jans, Raf & Degraeve, Zeger, 2007. "Meta-heuristics for dynamic lot sizing: A review and comparison of solution approaches," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(3), pages 1855-1875, March.
- Sahling, Florian & Buschkühl, Lisbeth & Tempelmeier, Horst & Helber, Stefan, 2008. "Solving a Multi-Level Capacitated Lot Sizing Problem with Multi-Period Setup Carry-Over via a Fix-and-Optimize Heuristic," Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover dp-400, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- AkartunalI, Kerem & Miller, Andrew J., 2009. "A heuristic approach for big bucket multi-level production planning problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 193(2), pages 396-411, March.
- VAN VYVE, Mathieu & POCHET, Yves, 2001. "A general heuristic or production planning problems," CORE Discussion Papers 2001056, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Berretta, Regina & Rodrigues, Luiz Fernando, 2004. "A memetic algorithm for a multistage capacitated lot-sizing problem," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 67-81, January.
- Süral, Haldun & Denizel, Meltem & Van Wassenhove, Luk N., 2009. "Lagrangean relaxation based heuristics for lot sizing with setup times," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 194(1), pages 51-63, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (BGSE Office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.