Hostile versus friendly takeovers
AbstractThis paper analyzes the choice of a raider between a hostile and a friendly takeover. If the target company's manager has private information about the scope for efficiency gains, it is shown that the raider may prefer a hostile acquisition even if transaction costs for a friendly takeover are much smaller. The raider actually chooses between a (hostile) tender offer to uninformed shareholders and (friendly) merger negotiations with the informed manager. The author shows how the uncertainty about potential efficiency gains, the manager's preference for control, the number of shares held by the manager, and transaction costs affect the raider's choice. Copyright 1996 by The London School of Economics and Political Science.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Bonn, Germany in its series Discussion Paper Serie A with number 339.
Date of creation: May 1991
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Bonn Graduate School of Economics, University of Bonn, Adenauerallee 24 - 26, 53113 Bonn, Germany
Fax: +49 228 73 6884
Web page: http://www.bgse.uni-bonn.de
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mohd Irfan, 2011. "The role of executives in hostile takeover attempts," Journal of Economic Interaction and Coordination, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 29-40, May.
- Andrew P. Dickerson & Heather D. Gibson & Euclid Tsakalotos, 1998.
"Takeover Risk and the Market for Corporate Control: The Experience of British Firms in the 1970s and 1980s,"
Studies in Economics
9803, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Dickerson, Andrew P. & Gibson, Heather D. & Tsakalotos, Euclid, 2002. "Takeover risk and the market for corporate control: the experience of British firms in the 1970s and 1980s," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(8), pages 1167-1195, October.
- Ralph P. Heinrich, 1999. "Complementarities in Corporate Governance. A Survey of the Literature with Special Emphasis on Japan," Kiel Working Papers 947, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Mohd, Irfan, 2010. "The Role of Executives in Hostile Takeover Attempts," MPRA Paper 22123, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Apr 2010.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (BGSE Office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.