Default Risk, Bankruptcy Procedures and the Market Value of Life Insurance Liabilities
AbstractThe topic of insolvency risk in connection with life insurance companies has recently attracted a great deal of attention. In this paper, the question is investigated of how the value of the equity and of the liability of a life insurance company are affected by the default risk and the choice of the relevant bankruptcy procedure. As an example, the U.S. Bankruptcy Code with Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 bankruptcy procedures is used. Grosen and Jørgensen's (2002) contingent claim model, implying only a Chapter 7 bankruptcy procedure, is extended to allow for more general bankruptcy procedures such as Chapter 11. Thus, more realistically, default and liquidation are modelled as distinguishable events. This is realized by using so-called standard and cumulative Parisian barrier option frameworks. It is shown that these options have appealing interpretations in terms of the bankruptcy mechanism. Furthermore, a number of representative numerical analyses and comparative statics are performed in order to investigate the effects of different parameter changes on the values of the insurance company's equity and liability, and hence on the value of the life insurance contract. To complete the analysis, the shortfall probabilities of the insurance company implied by the proposed models are computed and compared.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Bonn, Germany in its series Bonn Econ Discussion Papers with number bgse8_2006.
Date of creation: Apr 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Bonn Graduate School of Economics, University of Bonn, Adenauerallee 24 - 26, 53113 Bonn, Germany
Fax: +49 228 73 6884
Web page: http://www.bgse.uni-bonn.de
Equity--Linked Life Insurance; Default Risk; Liquidation Risk; Contingent Claims Pricing; Parisian Options; Bankruptcy Procedures;
Other versions of this item:
- Chen, An & Suchanecki, Michael, 2007. "Default risk, bankruptcy procedures and the market value of life insurance liabilities," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 231-255, March.
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies; Actuarial Studies
- G33 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Bankruptcy; Liquidation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-05-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2006-05-20 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-FIN-2006-05-20 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2006-05-20 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-IAS-2006-05-20 (Insurance Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leland, Hayne E, 1994.
" Corporate Debt Value, Bond Covenants, and Optimal Capital Structure,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1213-52, September.
- Hayne E. Leland., 1994. "Corporate Debt Value, Bond Covenants, and Optimal Capital Structure," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-233, University of California at Berkeley.
- Bernard, Carole & Le Courtois, Olivier & Quittard-Pinon, Francois, 2005. "Market value of life insurance contracts under stochastic interest rates and default risk," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 499-516, June.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Black, Fischer & Cox, John C, 1976. "Valuing Corporate Securities: Some Effects of Bond Indenture Provisions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(2), pages 351-67, May.
- Eric Briys & Fran�ois De Varenne, 1994. "Life Insurance in a Contingent Claim Framework: Pricing and Regulatory Implications," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(1), pages 53-72, June.
- Carole Bernard & Olivier Le Courtois & Fran�ois Quittard-Pinon, 2005. "A Study of Mutual Insurance for Bank Deposits," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(2), pages 129-146, December.
- Antje Mahayni & Erik Schlögl, 2008.
"The Risk Management of Minimum Return Guarantees,"
BuR - Business Research,
German Academic Association for Business Research, vol. 1(1), pages 55-76, May.
- Antje Mahayni & Erik Schlögl, 2003. "The Risk Management of Minimum Return Guarantees," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse18_2003, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Antje Mahayni & Erik Schl?gl, 2003. "The Risk Management of Minimum Return Guarantees," Research Paper Series 102, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- An Chen & Xia Su, 2009. "Knightian uncertainty and insurance regulation decision," Decisions in Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 13-33, May.
- Chen, An, 2008.
"Loss analysis of a life insurance company applying discrete-time risk-minimizing hedging strategies,"
Insurance: Mathematics and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 1035-1049, June.
- An Chen, 2005. "Loss Analysis of a Life Insurance Company Applying Discrete-time Risk-minimizing Hedging Strategies," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse19_2005, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Dirk Broeders & An Chen & Birgit Koos, 2009. "An institutional evaluation of pension funds and life insurance companies," DNB Working Papers 227, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Broeders, Dirk & Chen, An & Koos, Birgit, 2011. "A utility-based comparison of pension funds and life insurance companies under regulatory constraints," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 1-10, July.
- Broeders, Dirk & Chen, An, 2010.
"Pension regulation and the market value of pension liabilities: A contingent claims analysis using Parisian options,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1201-1214, June.
- Dirk Broeders & An Chen, 2008. "Pension regulation and the market value of pension liabilities - a contingent claims analysis using Parisian options," DNB Working Papers 183, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (BGSE Office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.