Overbidding in Fixed Rate Tenders - An Empirical Assessment of Alternative Explanations
AbstractThis paper investigates various theories explaining banks' overbidding in the fixed rate tenders of the European Central Bank (ECB). Using auction data from both the Bundesbank and the ECB, we show that none of the theories can on its own explain the observed overbidding. This implies that the proposed new rules by the ECB, aimed at neutralizing interest rate expectations, would not eliminate overbidding if the rationing rule in the fixed rate tenders remains unchanged.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Bonn, Germany in its series Bonn Econ Discussion Papers with number bgse10_2003.
Date of creation: Jun 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Bonn Graduate School of Economics, University of Bonn, Adenauerallee 24 - 26, 53113 Bonn, Germany
Fax: +49 228 73 6884
Web page: http://www.bgse.uni-bonn.de
Overbidding; repo auctions; monetary policy instruments of the European Central Bank;
Other versions of this item:
- Nautz, Dieter & Oechssler, Jorg, 2006. "Overbidding in fixed rate tenders--an empirical assessment of alternative explanations," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 631-646, April.
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- D44 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Auctions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sébastien Kraenzlin & Martin Schlegel, 2009.
"Bidding Behavior in the SNB's Repo Auctions,"
2009-14, Swiss National Bank.
- Offermanns, Christian J. & Nautz, Dieter, 2006.
"The dynamic relationship between the Euro overnight rate, the ECB´s policy rate and the term spread,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2006,01, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Dieter Nautz & Christian J. Offermanns, 2007. "The dynamic relationship between the euro overnight rate, the ECB's policy rate and the term spread," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 287-300.
- Ewerhart, Christian & Cassola, Nuno & Valla, Natacha, 2005. "Equilibrium and inefficiency in fixed rate tenders," Working Paper Series 0554, European Central Bank.
- Sébastien Kraenzlin, 2007. "The characteristics and development of the Swiss franc repurchase agreement market," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 241-261, June.
- Nautz, Dieter & Offermanns, Christian J., 2008. "Volatility transmission in the European money market," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 23-39, March.
- Ewerhart, Christian & Cassola, Nuno & Valla, Natacha, 2012. "Overbidding in fixed rate tenders: The role of exposure risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 539-549.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (BGSE Office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.