Convertible Bonds: Risks and Optimal Strategies
AbstractWithin the structural approach for credit risk models we discuss the optimal exercise of the callable and convertible bonds. The Vasi˘cekâmodel is applied to incorporate interest rate risk into the firmâs value process which follows a geometric Brownian motion. Finally, we derive pricing bounds for convertible bonds in an uncertain volatility model, i.e. when the volatility of the firm value process lies between two extreme values.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Bonn, Germany in its series Bonn Econ Discussion Papers with number bgse07_2010.
Date of creation: 12 Dec 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Bonn Graduate School of Economics, University of Bonn, Adenauerallee 24 - 26, 53113 Bonn, Germany
Fax: +49 228 73 6884
Web page: http://www.bgse.uni-bonn.de
Convertible bond; game option; uncertain volatility; interest rate risk;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G33 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Bankruptcy; Liquidation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pascal Francois, 2004. "Capital Structure and Asset Prices: Some Effects of Bankruptcy Procedures," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(2), pages 387-412, April.
- Yuri Kifer, 2000. "Game options," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 443-463.
- Adam Smith, 2002. "American options under uncertain volatility," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 123-141.
- Christoph Kühn & Andreas E. Kyprianou, 2007. "Callable Puts As Composite Exotic Options," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(4), pages 487-502.
- Briys, Eric & de Varenne, François, 1997. "Valuing Risky Fixed Rate Debt: An Extension," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(02), pages 239-248, June.
- RØdiger Frey, 2000. "Superreplication in stochastic volatility models and optimal stopping," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 161-187.
- Bert Menkveld & Ton Vorst, 1998. "A Pricing Model for American Options with Stochastic Interest Rates," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 98-028/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- M. Avellaneda & A. Levy & A. ParAS, 1995. "Pricing and hedging derivative securities in markets with uncertain volatilities," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(2), pages 73-88.
- Viral V. Acharya & Jennifer N. Carpenter, 2002.
"Corporate Bond Valuation and Hedging with Stochastic Interest Rates and Endogenous Bankruptcy,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(5), pages 1355-1383.
- Acharya, Viral V & Carpenter, Jennifer, 2002. "Corporate Bond Valuation and Hedging with Stochastic Interest Rates and Endogenous Bankruptcy," CEPR Discussion Papers 3328, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jan Kallsen & Christoph Kühn, 2004. "Pricing derivatives of American and game type in incomplete markets," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 261-284, 05.
- Brennan, M J & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1977. "Convertible Bonds: Valuation and Optimal Strategies for Call and Conversion," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(5), pages 1699-1715, December.
- Andreas Kyprianou, 2004. "Some calculations for Israeli options," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 73-86, January.
- T. J. Lyons, 1995. "Uncertain volatility and the risk-free synthesis of derivatives," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(2), pages 117-133.
- Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr, 1977. "An Examination of Corporate Call Policies on Convertible Securities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 463-78, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (BGSE Office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.