On the Solution of Markov-switching Rational Expectations Models
AbstractThis paper describes a method for solving a class of forward-looking Markov-switching Rational Expectations models under noisy measurement, by specifying the unobservable expectations component as a general-measurable function of the observable states of the system, to be determined optimally via stochastic control and filtering theory. Solution existence is proved by setting this function to the regime-dependent feedback control minimizing the mean-square deviation of the equilibrium path from the corresponding perfect-foresight autoregressive Markov jump state motion. As the exact expression of the conditional (rational) expectations term is derived both in finite and infinite horizon model formulations, no (asymptotic) stationarity assumptions are needed to solve forward the system, for only initial values knowledge is required. A simple sufficient condition for the mean-square stability of the obtained rational expectations equilibrium is also provided.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Bonn, Germany in its series Bonn Econ Discussion Papers with number bgse05_2011.
Date of creation: May 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Bonn Graduate School of Economics, University of Bonn, Adenauerallee 24 - 26, 53113 Bonn, Germany
Fax: +49 228 73 6884
Web page: http://www.bgse.uni-bonn.de
Rational Expectations; Markov-switching dynamic systems; Dynamic programming; Time-varying Kalman filter;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C5 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-06-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2011-06-04 (Central Banking)
- NEP-DGE-2011-06-04 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-ETS-2011-06-04 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-ORE-2011-06-04 (Operations Research)
- NEP-UPT-2011-06-04 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (BGSE Office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.