Banking and Finance in South - Eastern Europe: The Albanian Case
AbstractThis paper aims to present the main developments of banking and finance in Albania in a historical perspective. This historical overview might help to better understand not only the great difficulties and obstacles the country faced in the past but also the successes it achieved. It is widely known that the financial system, especially the banking sector, is considered as very important as it serves as a catalyst for the economic development of the country. And this is because financial depth determines economic growth. The paper also highlights the future challenges that the Albanian financial system will face within the context of the country’s European integration and the EU harmonization of the financial policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Greece in its series Working Papers with number 84.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2008
Date of revision:
Historical perspectives; Financial system; Bank-dominated system; Panics; EU integration;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies; Actuarial Studies
- N24 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - Europe: 1913-
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-11-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2008-11-11 (Banking)
- NEP-CFN-2008-11-11 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-EEC-2008-11-11 (European Economics)
- NEP-HIS-2008-11-11 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-TRA-2008-11-11 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John P. Bonin, 2001. "Financial Intermediation in Southeast Europe: Banking On the Balkans," wiiw Balkan Observatory Working Papers 006, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- International Monetary Fund, 2005. "Albania," IMF Staff Country Reports 05/274, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christina Tsochatzi).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.