Regional Integration Challenges in South East Europe: Banking Sector Trends
AbstractThis study reviews and evaluates a particular aspect of the institution building process in the transition countries of Southeast Europe. The focus is the development of the banking sector. It is argued that banking sector development plays an integral and pivotal role in the successful completion of the transition process. It functions as a very strong integrating force contributing to the broader institution building process and as a pillar of future growth and development in the new market environment of the Balkan economies. This study concentrates on three main issues. First, it undertakes a brief literature review of regional integration approaches in the Balkans. Second, it provides an overview of the most significant changes that have taken place in the banking sector. Third, it reviews some structural characteristics and performance indicators, all of which point to considerable advancements made in this sector in recent years. Empirical evidence is provided showing that a substantial harmonisation of ownership structures and performance indicators has been achieved in the banking sectors of these countries initiating a convergence process toward EU banking structures and functions. In this regard, this study complements the findings of other studies focusing on various sectors of economic activity, which clearly show that a de facto regional and, even more so, continental integration of the Southeast European countries is under way.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Greece in its series Working Papers with number 24.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2005
Date of revision:
Balkan banking; foreign banks; regional integration; transition policies;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R10 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - General
- P30 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - General
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-11-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2006-11-18 (Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2006-11-18 (European Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2006-11-18 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:wii:bpaper:bowp:006 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ralph de Haas & Iman van Lelyveld, 2002.
"Foreign Bank Penetration and Private Sector Credit in Central and Eastern Europe,"
International Finance, EconWPA
- R. T.A. de Haas & I. P.P van Lelyveld, 2004. "Foreign Bank Penetration and Private Sector Credit in Central and Eastern Europe," Journal of Emerging Market Finance, Institute for Financial Management and Research, vol. 3(2), pages 125-151, August.
- R.T.A. de Haas & I.P.P. van Lelyveld, 2003. "Foreign Bank Penetration and Private Sector Credit in Central and Eastern Europe," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued), Netherlands Central Bank 91, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Caprio, Gerard, Jr & Levine, Ross, 1994. "Reforming Finance in Transitional Socialist Economies," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, World Bank Group, vol. 9(1), pages 1-24, January.
- Tsoukalis, Loukas, 1997. "The New European Economy Revisited," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774778, October.
- Anders Ã…slund & Peter Boone & Simon Johnson, 1996. "How to Stabilize: Lessons from Post -communist Countries," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 27(1), pages 217-314.
- George Petrakos, 2002. "Restructuring, Stability, and Development in Southeastern Europe," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 40(4), pages 3-5, July.
- Lukasz Konopielko, 1999. "Foreign Banks' Entry into Central and East European Markets: Motives and Activities," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(4), pages 463-485.
- repec:wii:bpaper:bowp:061 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mitko Dimitrov & Saul Estrin & Xavier Richet, 1997. "Cross Countries Study: State Enterprises Restructuring in Bulgaria, Romania and Albania," ERI-BAS Chapters, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, in: Mitko Dimitrov (ed.), State Enterprise Restructuring in Bulgaria, Romania and Albania, edition 1, chapter 1, pages 9-30 Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute.
- George S. Tavlas & P.A.V.B. Swamy, 2006.
"The New Keynesian Phillips Curve and Inflation Expectations: Re-Specification and Interpretation,"
Working Papers, Bank of Greece
34, Bank of Greece.
- P. Swamy & George Tavlas, 2007. "The New Keynesian Phillips Curve and Inflation Expectations: Re-Specification and Interpretation," Economic Theory, Springer, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 293-306, May.
- Otmar Issing, 2006. "Europe's Hard Fix: The Euro Area," Working Papers, Bank of Greece 39, Bank of Greece.
- Hans Genberg, 2006.
"Exchange-Rate Arrangements and Financial Integration in East Asia: On a Collision Course?,"
152006, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Hans Genberg, 2006. "Exchange-rate arrangements and financial integration in East Asia: on a collision course?," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 359-377, December.
- Hans Genberg, 2006. "Exchange-Rate Arrangements and Financial Integration in East Asia: On a Collision Course?," Working Papers, Bank of Greece 41, Bank of Greece.
- Hans Genberg, 2006. "Exchange-Rate Arrangements an Financial Integration in East Asia: On a Collision Course?," Working Papers, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank) 122, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Matthaios D. Delis & Christos K. Staikouras, 2006.
"Determinants of Bank Profitability in the South Eastern European Region,"
Working Papers, Bank of Greece
47, Bank of Greece.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Delis, Manthos & Staikouras, Christos, 2006. "Determinants Of Bank Profitability In The South Eastern European Region," MPRA Paper 10274, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John Williamson, 2006.
"A Worldwide System of Reference Rates,"
Working Papers, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank)
130, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Eleni Angelopoulou, 2005. "The Comparative Performance of Q-type and Dynamic Models of Firm Investment: Empirical Evidence from the UK," Working Papers, Bank of Greece 27, Bank of Greece.
- George A. Christodoulakis & Stephen E Satchell, 2006. "Exact Elliptical Distributions for Models of Conditionally Random Financial Volatility," Working Papers, Bank of Greece 32, Bank of Greece.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christina Tsochatzi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.