Empirical Modelling of Money Demand in Periods of Structural Change: The Case of Greece
AbstractThis paper examines the behaviour of the demand for money in Greece during 1976:1-2000:4, a period that included many of the influences that cause money-demand instability. Two empirical methodologies, vector error correction (VEC) modelling and second-generation random coefficient (RC) modelling, are used to estimate the demand for money. The coefficients of both the VEC and RC procedures support the hypothesis that the demand for money becomes more responsive to both the own rate of return on money balances and the opportunity cost of holding money because of financial deregulation. In general, both procedures also support the hypothesis that the income elasticity of money demand declines over time as a result of technological improvements in the payments system and the development of money substitutes, which lead to economies of scale in holding money.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Greece in its series Working Papers with number 01.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2003
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, 2003, 65 (5), pp. 605-628
Money demand; VEC; random coefficient estimation;
Other versions of this item:
- Sophocles N. Brissimis & George Hondroyiannis & P. A. V. B. Swamy & George S. Tavlas, 2003. "Empirical Modelling of Money Demand in Periods of Structural Change: The Case of Greece," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(5), pages 605-628, December.
- C20 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - General
- E41 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Demand for Money
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael D. Bordo & Lars Jonung, 1991.
"The Long-Run Behavior of Velocity: The Institutional Approach Revisited,"
NBER Working Papers
3204, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bordo, Michael D. & Jonung, Lars, 1990. "The long-run behavior of velocity: The institutional approach revisited," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 165-197.
- Athanasios Papadopoulos & George Zis, .
"The Demand For Money In Greece: Further Empirical Results And Policy Implications,"
9405, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Papadopoulos, Athanasios P & Zis, George, 1997. "The Demand for Money in Greece: Further Empirical Results and Policy Implications," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 65(1), pages 71-89, January.
- P.A.V.B. Swamy & George S. Tavlas, 1993.
"Random coefficient models: theory and applications,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
93-14, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Swamy, P A V B & Tavlas, George S, 1995. " Random Coefficient Models: Theory and Applications," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 165-96, June.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Johansen, Søren & Juselius, Katarina, 1992. "Testing structural hypotheses in a multivariate cointegration analysis of the PPP and the UIP for UK," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 211-244.
- Christou, Costas & Swamy, P. A. V. B. & Tavlas, George S., 1998. "A general framework for predicting returns from multiple currency investments," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 977-1000, May.
- Goldfeld, Stephen M. & Sichel, Daniel E., 1990. "The demand for money," Handbook of Monetary Economics, in: B. M. Friedman & F. H. Hahn (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 8, pages 299-356 Elsevier.
- Michael C. Keeley & Gary C. Zimmerman, 1986. "Deposit rate deregulation and the demand for transactions media," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Sum, pages 47-62.
- I-Lok Chang & P.A.V.B. Swamy & Charles Hallahan & George S. Tavlas, 2000. "A Computational Approach to Finding Causal Economic Laws," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 16(1/2), pages 105-136, October.
- Johansen, Soren, 1992. "Cointegration in partial systems and the efficiency of single-equation analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 389-402, June.
- repec:fth:sydnec:160 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hafer, R.W. & Jansen, D.W., 1990.
"The Demand For Money In The United States: Evidence From Cointegration Tests,"
9010, Erasmus University of Rotterdam - Institute for Economic Research.
- Hafer, R W & Jansen, Dennis W, 1991. "The Demand for Money in the United States: Evidence from Cointegration Tests," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 23(2), pages 155-68, May.
- Psaradakis, Zacharias, 1993. "The Demand for Money in Greece: An Exercise in Econometric Modelling with Cointegrated Variables," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 55(2), pages 215-36, May.
- George Hondroyiannis & Sophia Lazaretou, 2004.
"Inflation Persistence during Periods of Structural Change: An Assessment Using Greek Data,"
13, Bank of Greece.
- George Hondroyiannis & Sophia Lazaretou, 2007. "Inflation persistence during periods of structural change: an assessment using Greek data," Empirica, Springer, vol. 34(5), pages 453-475, December.
- Hondroyiannis, George & Lazaretou, Sophia, 2004. "Inflation persistence during periods of structural change: an assessment using Greek data," Working Paper Series 0370, European Central Bank.
- Sideris, Dimitrios, 2006.
"Testing for long-run PPP in a system context: Evidence for the US, Germany and Japan,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 143-154, April.
- Dimitrios Sideris, 2004. "Testing for Long-Run PPP in a System Context: Evidence for the US, Germany and Japan," Working Papers 19, Bank of Greece.
- Hochreiter, Eduard & Tavlas, George S., 2004. "On the road again: an essay on the optimal path to EMU for the new member states," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 793-816, October.
- Sophocles Brissimis & Eugenie Garganas & Stephen G. Hall, 2012.
"Consumer credit in an era of financial liberalisation: an overreaction to repressed demand?,"
148, Bank of Greece.
- Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Garganas, Eugenie N. & Hall, Stephen G., 2012. "Consumer credit in an era of financial liberalisation: An overreaction to repressed demand?," MPRA Paper 41819, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Abdul Qayyum, 2005.
"Modelling the Demand for Money in Pakistan,"
The Pakistan Development Review,
Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 44(3), pages 233-252.
- Duca, John V. & VanHoose, David D., 2004. "Recent developments in understanding the demand for money," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 247-272.
- James, Gregory A., 2005. "Money demand and financial liberalization in Indonesia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 817-829, October.
- Christos Karpetis, 2008. "Money, Income and Inflation in Equilibrium – The Case of Greece," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 205-214, May.
- George Hondroyiannis & P.A.V.B. Swamy & George S. Tavlas & Michael Ulan, 2005.
"Some Further Evidence on Exchange-Rate Volatility and Exports,"
28, Bank of Greece.
- George Hondroyiannis & P.A.V.B. Swamy & George Tavlas & Michael Ulan, 2008. "Some Further Evidence on Exchange-Rate Volatility and Exports," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 144(1), pages 151-180, April.
- George A. Christodoulakis & Stephen E Satchell, 2006. "Exact Elliptical Distributions for Models of Conditionally Random Financial Volatility," Working Papers 32, Bank of Greece.
- repec:pra:mprapa:40579 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nicholas G. Zonzilos, 2004. "Econometric Modelling at the Bank of Greece," Working Papers 14, Bank of Greece.
- Eleni Angelopoulou, 2005. "The Comparative Performance of Q-type and Dynamic Models of Firm Investment: Empirical Evidence from the UK," Working Papers 27, Bank of Greece.
- Stephen G. Hall & George Hondroyiannis & P.A.V.B. Swamy & George S. Tavlas, 2009. "Where Has All the Money Gone? Wealth and the Demand for Money in South Africa †," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 18(1), pages 84-112, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christina Tsochatzi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.