Bank Capital and Value at Risk
AbstractTo measure the risks involved in their trading operations, major banks are increasingly employing Value-at-Risk (VaR) models. In an important regulatory innovation, the Basle Committee has accepted that such models can be used in the determination of the capital that banks must hold to back their securities trading. This paper examines the empirical performance of different VaR models using data on the actual fixed income, foreign exchange and equity security holdings of a large bank. It also examines how a bank applying the models would have fared in the past if the proposed rules had been in operation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of England in its series Bank of England working papers with number 79.
Date of creation: May 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Publications Group Bank of England Threadneedle Street London EC2R 8AH
Phone: +44 (0)171 601 4030
Fax: +44 (0)171 601 5196
Web page: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul H. Kupiec & James M. O'Brien, 1995. "Recent developments in bank capital regulation of market risks," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-51, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Arturo Estrella, 1995. "Taylor, Black and Scholes: series approximations and risk management pitfalls," Research Paper 9501, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- M.J.B. Hall, 1996. "The amendment to the capital accord to incorporate market risk," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 49(197), pages 271-277.
- M.J.B. Hall, 1996. "The amendment to the capital accord to incorporate market risk," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 49(197), pages 271-277.
- Darryll Hendricks, 1996. "Evaluation of value-at-risk models using historical data," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Apr, pages 39-69.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dimson, Elroy & Marsh, Paul, 1995. " Capital Requirements for Securities Firms," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(3), pages 821-51, July.
- Paul H. Kupiec, 1995. "Techniques for verifying the accuracy of risk measurement models," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-24, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Wai Yan Cheng & Michael Chak Sham Wong & Clement Yuk Pang Wong, 2003. "Market risk management of banks: implications from the accuracy of Value-at-Risk forecasts," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(1), pages 23-33.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Peter F. Christoffersen & Francis X. Diebold, 2005.
"Practical Volatility and Correlation Modeling for Financial Market Risk Management,"
PIER Working Paper Archive
05-007, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Peter Christoffersen & Francis X. Diebold, 2007. "Practical Volatility and Correlation Modeling for Financial Market Risk Management," NBER Chapters, in: The Risks of Financial Institutions, pages 513-548 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Peter F. Christoffersen & Francis X. Diebold, 2005. "Practical Volatility and Correlation Modeling for Financial Market Risk Management," NBER Working Papers 11069, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Christoffersen, Peter F. & Diebold, Francis X., 2005. "Practical volatility and correlation modeling for financial market risk management," CFS Working Paper Series 2005/02, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Gonzalo Cortazar & Alejandro Bernales & Diether Beuermann, 2005. "Methodology and Implementation of Value-at-Risk Measures in Emerging Fixed-Income Markets with Infrequent Trading," Finance 0512030, EconWPA.
- Arupratan Daripa & Simone Varotto, 1997. "Agency Incentives and Reputational Distortions: a Comparison of the Effectiveness of Value-at-Risk and Pre-commitment in Regulating Market Risk," Bank of England working papers 69, Bank of England.
- Krainer, Robert E., 2002. "Banking in a theory of the business cycle: a model and critique of the Basle Accord on risk-based capital requirements for banks," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 413-433, May.
- Broll, Udo & Wahl, Jack E., 2003. "Value at risk, bank equity and credit risk," Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics 04/03, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics.
- Mark R. Manfredo & Raymond M. Leuthold, 1998. "Agricultural Applications of Value-at-Risk Analysis: A Perspective," Finance 9805002, EconWPA.
- Pamela Nickell & William Perraudin & Simone Varotto, 2001. "Ratings versus equity-based credit risk modelling: an empirical analysis," Bank of England working papers 132, Bank of England.
- Mark R. Manfredo. & Raymond M. Leuthold, 1999. "Market Risk Measurement and the Cattle Feeding Margin: An Application of Value-at-Risk," Finance 9908002, EconWPA.
- Cotter, John & Blake, David & Dowd, Kevin, 2006.
"Financial Risks and the Pension Protection Fund: Can it Survive Them?,"
3498, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Blake & John Cotter & Kevin Dowd, 2011. "Financial Risks and the Pension Protection Fund: Can it Survive Them?," Papers 1103.5978, arXiv.org.
- David Blake & John Cotter & Kevin Dowd, 2011. "Financial Risks and the Pension Protection Fund:Can It Survive Them?," Working Papers 200615, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Longin, François, 1999. "From Value at Risk to Stress Testing: The Extreme Value Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 2161, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Arupratan Daripa & Simone Varotto, 1998. "Value at risk and precommitment: approaches to market risk regulation," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Oct, pages 137-143.
- Christian A. Johnson, 2002. "Value at Risk: Teoría y Aplicaciones," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 136, Central Bank of Chile.
- David E Allen & Akhmad R. Kramadibrata & R. J. Powell & Abhay Kumar Singh, 2011. "Comparing Australian and US Corporate Default Risk using Quantile Regression," Working papers 2011-04, Edith Cowan University, School of Business.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publications Team).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.