Evaluating one-way and two-way cluster-robust covariance matrix estimates
AbstractIn this presentation, I update Nichols and Schaffer's 2007 UK Stata Users Group talk on clustered standard errors. Although cluster-robust standard errors are now recognized as essential in a panel-data context, official Stata only supports clusters that are nested within panels. This requirement rules out the possibility of defining clusters in the time dimension and modeling contemporaneous dependence of panel units' error processes. I build upon recent analytical developments that define two-way (and conceptually, n-way) clustering and upon the 2010 implementation of two-way clustering in the widely used ivreg2 and xtivreg2 packages. I present examples of the utility of one-way and two-way clustering using Monte Carlo techniques, I present a comparison with alternative approaches to modeling error dependence, and I consider tests for clustering of errors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stata Users Group in its series United Kingdom Stata Users' Group Meetings 2010 with number 12.
Date of creation: 17 Sep 2010
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Christopher F Baum & Austin Nichols & Mark E Schaffer, 2010. "Evaluating one-way and two-way cluster-robust covariance matrix estimates," BOS10 Stata Conference 11, Stata Users Group.
- Christopher F Baum & Austin Nichols & Mark E Schaffer, 2011. "Evaluating one-way and two-way cluster–robust covariance matrix estimates," German Stata Users' Group Meetings 2011 02, Stata Users Group.
- NEP-ALL-2010-09-25 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Silvia Sacchetti & Ermanno C. Tortia, 2012. "A “Human Growth” Perspective on Organizational Resources and Firm Performance," Department of Economics Working Papers 1209, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Andréas Heinen & Malika Hamadi & Guillermo Baquero, 2013. "Competition, Loan Rates and Information Dispersion in Microcredit Markets," Working Paper CRENoS 201314, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Abebe, Gumataw K. & Bijman, Jos & Kemp, Ron & Omta, Onno & Tsegaye, Admasu, 2013. "Contract farming configuration: Smallholders’ preferences for contract design attributes," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 14-24.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.