Approximating the bias of the LSDV estimator for dynamic panel data models
AbstractIt is well known that the LSDV estimator for dynamic panel data models is not consistent for N large and finite T. Nickell (1981) derives an expression for the inconsistency for N going to infinity, which is of order 1/T. Kiviet (1995) uses asymptotic expansion techniques to approximate the small sample bias of the LSDV estimator to also include terms of at most order 1/NT, thus offering a method to correct the LSDV estimator for samples where N is small or only moderately large. In Kiviet (1999) and Bun and Kiviet (2003) the bias expression is more accurate, including higher order terms. Monte Carlo evidence in Judson and Owen (1999) strongly supports the corrected LSDV estimator compared to more traditional GMM estimators when N is only moderately large. Bruno (2004) extends the bias approximation formulas in Bun and Kiviet (2003) to accommodate unbalanced panels with a strictly exogenous selection rule. This paper describes the Stata codes used in Bruno (2004) to compute the bias approximations and carry out the Monte Carlo experiment estimating the actual LSDV bias for various data generating processes. The analysis covers both balanced and unbalanced panels. It is found that the actual bias as estimated by Monte Carlo replications, besides following the same patterns as in Bun and Kiviet (2003), turns out non-increasing in the degree of unbalancedness. Moreover, the approximations are always accurate with a decreasing contribution to the actual bias of the higher order terms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stata Users Group in its series United Kingdom Stata Users' Group Meetings 2004 with number 2.
Date of creation: 30 Jun 2004
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-07-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2004-07-18 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2004-07-18 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Judson, Ruth A. & Owen, Ann L., 1999. "Estimating dynamic panel data models: a guide for macroeconomists," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 9-15, October.
- Bun, Maurice J. G. & Kiviet, Jan F., 2003.
"On the diminishing returns of higher-order terms in asymptotic expansions of bias,"
Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 145-152, May.
- Maurice J.G. Bun & Jan F. Kiviet, 2002. "On the Diminishing Returns of Higher-order Terms in Asymptotic Expansions of Bias," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 02-099/4, Tinbergen Institute, revised 24 Oct 2002.
- Bun,M.J.G. & Carree,M.A., 2002.
"Bias-corrected estimation in dynamic panel data models,"
025, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Bun, Maurice J.G. & Carree, Martin A., 2005. "Bias-Corrected Estimation in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 200-210, April.
- Bun,M.J.G. & Carree,M.A., 2002. "Bias-corrected estimation in dynamic panel data models," Research Memorandum 025, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2001.
"Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262232197, January.
- Jeffrey M Wooldridge, 2010. "Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262232588, January.
- Kajal Lahiri, 2005. "Analysis of Panel Data," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(4), pages 1093-1095.
- Giovanni S.F. Bruno, 2004.
"Approximating the Bias of the LSDV Estimator for Dynamic Unbalanced Panel Data Models,"
KITeS Working Papers
159, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2004.
- Bruno, Giovanni S.F., 2005. "Approximating the bias of the LSDV estimator for dynamic unbalanced panel data models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 361-366, June.
- Kiviet, Jan F, 1986. "On the Rigour of Some Misspecification Tests for Modelling Dynamic Relationships," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(2), pages 241-61, April.
- Kiviet, Jan F., 1995.
"On bias, inconsistency, and efficiency of various estimators in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 53-78, July.
- Tom Doan, . "LSDVC: RATS procedure to estimate a dynamic FE model with correction for bias," Statistical Software Components RTS00111, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-26, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.