Estimating multiway error-components models with correlated effects in Stata
AbstractI derive new estimators and tests of correlated effects for the (possibly) unbalanced multiway error component model (ECM), extending existing results in various aspects. The results by Kang (1985) on specification tests, who extended Hausman and Taylor (1981) and Mundlak (1978) to the two-way balanced model, emerge as particular cases of the present analysis. Davis (2002), who extends the analysis of Wansbeek and Kaptein (1989) to the multiway unbalanced model does not consider the cases of either correlated effects or specification tests. I also uncover new algebraic properties of the multiway ECM covariance matrix that prove useful for both computational and analytical purposes. Finally, I provide some examples using Stata.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stata Users Group in its series Italian Stata Users' Group Meetings 2008 with number 06.
Date of creation: 19 Jan 2009
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-01-31 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "On the Pooling of Time Series and Cross Section Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 69-85, January.
- Davis, Peter, 2002. "Estimating multi-way error components models with unbalanced data structures," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 67-95, January.
- J. A. Hausman & W. E. Taylor, 1980.
"Panel Data and Unobservable Individual Effects,"
255, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hausman, Jerry A & Taylor, William E, 1981. "Panel Data and Unobservable Individual Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1377-98, November.
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Taylor, William E., 1981. "Panel data and unobservable individual effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 155-155, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.