Standard Errors for the Blinder-Oaxaca Decomposition
AbstractThe decomposition technique introduced by Blinder (1973) and Oaxaca (1973) is widely used to study outcome differences between groups. For example, the technique is commonly applied to the analysis of the gender wage gap. However, despite the procedure's frequent use, very little attention has been paid to the issue of estimating the sampling variances of the decomposition components. We therefore suggest an approach that introduces consistent variance estimators for several variants of the decomposition. The accuracy of the new estimators under ideal conditions is illustrated with the results of a Monte Carlo simulation. As a second check, the estimators are compared to bootstrap results obtained using real data. In contrast to previously proposed statistics, the new method takes into account the extra variation imposed by stochastic regressors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stata Users Group in its series German Stata Users' Group Meetings 2005 with number 03.
Date of creation: 03 Apr 2005
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kitae Sohn, 2012. "A New Insight Into The Gender Gap In Math," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(1), pages 135-155, 01.
- Lin, Carl, 2013. "Decomposing abnormal returns in stochastic linear models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 118(1), pages 143-147.
- Fortin, Nicole & Lemieux, Thomas & Firpo, Sergio, 2011.
"Decomposition Methods in Economics,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
- Peter Huber & Doris A. Oberdabernig, 2014. "Decomposing Welfare Wedges. An Analysis of Welfare Dependence of Immigrants and Natives in Europe," WIFO Working Papers 459, WIFO.
- Ledyaeva , Svetlana & Linden, Mikael, 2006. "Foreign direct investment and economic growth: Empirical evidence from Russian regions," BOFIT Discussion Papers 17/2006, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Harald Tauchmann, 2008.
"West-East Convergence in the Prevalence of Illicit Drugs: Socioeconomics or Culture?,"
Ruhr Economic Papers
0061, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Tauchmann, Harald, 2008. "West-East Convergence in the Prevalence of Illicit Drugs: Socioeconomics or Culture?," Economics Discussion Papers 2008-8, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Andreas Ammermüller, 2004.
"PISA : what makes the difference?,"
Working Papers of the Research Group Heterogenous Labor
04-07, Research Group Heterogeneous Labor, University of Konstanz/ZEW Mannheim.
- Thomas Dohmen & Hartmut Lehmann & Anzelika Zaiceva, 2008. "The Gender Earnings Gap inside a Russian Firm: First Evidence from Personnel Data - 1997 to 2002 ; Updated Version," ESCIRRU Working Papers 6, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Le, Huong Thu & Booth, Alison L., 2010.
"Inequality in Vietnamese Urban-Rural Living Standards, 1993-2006,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4987, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Booth, Alison L. & Le, Huong Thu, 2010. "Inequality in Vietnamese Urban-Rural Living Standards, 1993-2006," CEPR Discussion Papers 7918, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tauchmann, Harald, 2008. "West-East Convergence in the Prevalence of Cannabis Use: Socioeconomics or Culture?," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 2(29), pages 1-27.
- Peter Huber & Doris A. Oberdabernig, 2013. "Does migration threaten the sustainability of European welfare states?," WWWforEurope Working Papers series 21, WWWforEurope.
- Maryam Dilmaghani, 2012. "Global financial crisis: dharmic transgressions and solutions," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 39(1), pages 55-80, January.
- repec:iab:iabzaf:v:41:i:2/3:p:157-179 is not listed on IDEAS
- Eric S. Lin, 2007. "On the standard errors of Oaxaca-type decompositions for inter-industry gender wage differentials," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 10(6), pages 1-11.
- H Gravelle & A Risa Hole, 2008. "Measuring and testing for gender discrimination in professions: the case of English family doctors," Discussion Papers 08/27, Department of Economics, University of York.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:10:y:2007:i:6:p:1-11 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.