Mapping capital and liquidity requirements to bank lending spreads
AbstractThis study outlines a methodology for mapping the increases in capital and liquidity requirements proposed under Basel III to bank lending spreads. The higher cost associated with a one percentage point increase in the capital ratio can be recovered by increasing lending spreads by 15 basis points for a representative bank. This calculation assumes the return on equity (ROE) and the cost of debt are unchanged, with no change in other sources of income and no reduction in operating expenses. If ROE and the cost of debt are assumed to decline, the impact on lending spreads is reduced. To recover the additional cost of meeting the December 2009 proposal for the Net Stable Funding Ratio (NSFR), a representative bank would need to increase lending spreads by 24 basis points. Taking into account the fall in risk-weighted assets from holding more government bonds reduces this cost to 12 basis points or less.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank for International Settlements in its series BIS Working Papers with number 324.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2010
Date of revision:
banks; regulation; Basel III; capital; liquidity; lending spreads;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-11-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2010-11-27 (Banking)
- NEP-BEC-2010-11-27 (Business Economics)
- NEP-REG-2010-11-27 (Regulation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alfredo Martin-Oliver & Sonia Ruano & Vicente Salas-Fumas, 2013. "Banks' Equity Capital Frictions, Capital Ratios, and Interest Rates: Evidence from Spanish Banks," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 9(1), pages 183-225, March.
- Angelini, P. & Clerc, L. & Cúrdia, V. & Gambacorta, L. & Gerali, A. & Locarno, A. & Motto, R. & Roeger, W. & Van den Heuvel, S. & Vlcek, J., 2011.
"BASEL III: Long-term impact on economic performance and fluctuations,"
323, Banque de France.
- Paolo Angelini & Laurent Clerc & Vasco Cúrdia & Leonardo Gambacorta & Andrea Gerali & Alberto Locarno & Roberto Motto & Werner Roeger & Skander Van den Heuvel & Jan Vlcek, 2011. "BASEL III: Long-term impact on economic performance and fluctuations," BIS Working Papers 338, Bank for International Settlements.
- Paolo Angelini & Laurent Clerc & Vasco Cúrdia & Leonardo Gambacorta & Andrea Gerali & Alberto Locarno & Roberto Motto & Werner Roeger & Skander Van den Heuvel & Jan Vlcek, 2011. "BASEL III: long-term impact on economic performance and fluctuations," Staff Reports 485, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Paolo Angelini & Laurent Clerc & Vasco CÃºrdia & Leonardo Gambacorta & Andrea Gerali & Alberto Locarno & Roberto Motto & Werner Roeger & Skander Van den Heuvel & Jan Vlcek, 2011. "Basel III: Long-term impact on economic performance and fluctuations," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 87, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- TÃ¼mer Kapan & Camelia Minoiu, 2013.
"Balance Sheet Strength and Bank Lending During the Global Financial Crisis,"
IMF Working Papers
13/102, International Monetary Fund.
- Kapan, Tümer & Minoiu, Camelia, 2013. "Balance sheet strength and bank lending during the global financial crisis," Discussion Papers 33/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Douglas Elliott & Andre Santos, 2012. "Assessing the Cost of Financial Regulation," IMF Working Papers 12/233, International Monetary Fund.
- Milan Matejašák & Petr Teplý, 2013. "Are Credit Unions Dynamite on the Czech Financial Market?," Český finanční a účetní časopis, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2013(1).
- Juan Pablo Medina Guzman & Jorge Roldos, 2014. "Monetary and Macroprudential Policies to Manage Capital Flows," IMF Working Papers 14/30, International Monetary Fund.
- Claudio Borio, 2011.
"Rediscovering the Macroeconomic Roots of Financial Stability Policy: Journey, Challenges, and a Way Forward,"
Annual Review of Financial Economics,
Annual Reviews, vol. 3(1), pages 87-117, December.
- Claudio Borio, 2011. "Rediscovering the macroeconomic roots of financial stability policy: journey, challenges and a way forward," BIS Working Papers 354, Bank for International Settlements.
- Maurin, Laurent & Toivanen, Mervi, 2012. "Risk, capital buffer and bank lending: a granular approach to the adjustment of euro area banks," Working Paper Series 1499, European Central Bank.
- Riccetti, Luca & Russo, Alberto & Mauro, Gallegati, 2013. "Financial Regulation in an Agent Based Macroeconomic Model," MPRA Paper 51013, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Timo Laurmaa).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.