Household saving and real house prices: an international perspective
AbstractThis cross-country study provides empirical evidence on the influence of house prices on the aggregate consumption and saving behaviour of households. Housing wealth constitutes a significant portion of total wealth for households, suggesting that their expenditure patterns are likely to reflect housing market developments. The paper first describes developments in house prices in 15 industrialised countries over the period 1970-72 and then empirically tests the relationship between house prices, household debt and saving. The main findings are that while house price movements have played a significant role in the 1980s in determining households' saving behaviour, the magnitude and direction of their impact has varied considerably across countries. A negative effect is identified in Germany, Japan, the United Kingdom and the Untied States, and a positive one in the remaining countries. The reasons for the differing responses are to be found in variations in the characteristics of national housing market, in the redistribution of wealth within the household sector and in changes in financial markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank for International Settlements in its series BIS Working Papers with number 20.
Length: 74 pages
Date of creation: Jan 1994
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Duca, John V. & Muellbauer, John & Murphy, Anthony, 2010.
"Housing markets and the financial crisis of 2007-2009: Lessons for the future,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 203-217, December.
- John V. Duca & John Muellbauer & Anthony Murphy, 2010. "Housing markets and the financial crisis of 2007-2009: lessons for the future," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 33613, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- John V. Duca & John Muellbauer & Anthony Murphy, 2010. "Housing Markets and the Financial Crisis of 2007-2009: Lessons for the Future," SERC Discussion Papers 0049, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Maclennan, Duncan & Muellbauer, John & Stephens, Mark, 1999.
"Asymmetries in Housing and Financial Market Institutions and EMU,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2062, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maclennan, Duncan & Muellbauer, John & Stephens, Mark, 1998. "Asymmetries in Housing and Financial Market Institutions and EMU," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(3), pages 54-80, Autumn.
- Lunde, Jens, 2006. "The owner-occupiers’ capital structure during a house price boom," Working Papers 2005-3, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Finance.
- Janine Aron & John Muellbauer, 2006.
"Housing Wealth, Credit Conditions and Consumption,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/2006-08, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Janine Aron & John Muellbauer, 2006. "Housing Wealth, Credit Conditions and Consumption," CSAE Working Paper Series 2006-08, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Aron, Janine & Muellbauer, John & Murphy, Anthony, 2006. "Housing wealth, credit conditions and consumption," MPRA Paper 24485, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paul Louis Ceriel Hilbers & Lisbeth Zacho & Qin Lei, 2001. "Real Estate Market Developments and Financal Sector Soundness," IMF Working Papers 01/129, International Monetary Fund.
- Nathalie Girouard & Sveinbjörn Blöndal, 2001. "House Prices and Economic Activity," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 279, OECD Publishing.
- Englund, P. & Ioannides, Y.M., 1996.
"House Price Dynamics: An International Empirical Perspective,"
1996-01, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Englund, Peter & Ioannides, Yannis M., 1997. "House Price Dynamics: An International Empirical Perspective," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 119-136, June.
- Gerdesmeier, Dieter & Lenarčič, Andreja & Roffia, Barbara, 2012. "An alternative method for identifying booms and busts in the euro area housing market," Working Paper Series 1493, European Central Bank.
- Iacoviello, Matteo, 2000. "House prices and the macroeconomy in Europe: Results from a structural var analysis," Working Paper Series 0018, European Central Bank.
- Elbourne, Adam, 2008. "The UK housing market and the monetary policy transmission mechanism: An SVAR approach," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 65-87, March.
- Steven Morling & Robert Subbaraman, 1995. "Superannuation and Saving," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp9511, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Matteo Iacoviello, 2002. "House Prices and Business Cycles in Europe: a VAR Analysis," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 540, Boston College Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Timo Laurmaa).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.