International Tax Arbitrage Tax Evasion amd Interest Parity Conditions
AbstractUsing a finite-horizon general equilibrium model with uncertainty and money, we characterize situations where tax arbitrage opportunities may arise for internatioanl portfolio investors in an economy with heterogeneous capital income taxation when there is some scope to evade taxes on foreign capital income. We derive tax-modified uncovered interest parity conditions and forward raets similar to the no-tax ones, but augmented by tax-induced "risk-premium" terms.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Birmingham in its series Discussion Papers with number 98-05.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
TAX EVASION ; ARBITRATION ; INTEREST RATE;
Other versions of this item:
- Strobel, Frank, 2001. "International tax arbitrage, tax evasion and interest parity conditions," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(4), pages 413-427, December.
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- H2 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Talmor, Eli, 1989. "Tax arbitrage restrictions and financial leverage clienteles," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 831-838, December.
- Dammon, Robert M & Green, Richard C, 1987. " Tax Arbitrage and the Existence of Equilibrium Prices for Financial Assets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(5), pages 1143-66, December.
- Schjelderup, Guttorm, 1993.
" Optimal Taxation, Capital Mobility and Tax Evasion,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(3), pages 377-86.
- Schjelderup, G., 1991. "Optimal Taxation, Capital Mobility and Tax Evasion," Papers 02-91, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1985.
"Bank Deregulation, Accounting Systems of Exchange, and the Unit of Account: A Critical Review,"
NBER Working Papers
1572, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McCallum, Bennett T., 1985. "Bank deregulation, accounting systems of exchange, and the unit of account: A critical review," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 13-45, January.
- Radner, Roy, 1972. "Existence of Equilibrium of Plans, Prices, and Price Expectations in a Sequence of Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(2), pages 289-303, March.
- Aivazian, Varouj A & Callen, Jeffrey L, 1987. " Miller's Irrelevance Mechanism: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(1), pages 169-80, March.
- De Vries, C.G. & Leuven, K.U., 1994. "Stylized Facts of Nominal Exchange Rate Returns," Papers 94-002, Purdue University, Krannert School of Management - Center for International Business Education and Research (CIBER).
- Miller, Merton H, 1977. "Debt and Taxes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 261-75, May.
- Chris Jones & Frank Milne, 1992. "Tax Arbitrage, Existence of Equilibrium, and Bounded Tax Rebates," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(3), pages 189-196.
- Ross, Stephen A, 1987. "Arbitrage and Martingales with Taxation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(2), pages 371-93, April.
- Dybvig, Philip H & Ross, Stephen A, 1986. " Tax Clienteles and Asset Pricing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(3), pages 751-62, July.
- Strobel, Frank, 2012. "International tax arbitrage, currency options and put-call parity conditions," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 473-486.
- Peter G. Szilagyi & Jonathan A. Batten, 2006. "Arbitrage, Covered Interest Parity and Long-Term Dependence between the US Dollar and the Yen," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp128, IIIS.
- Strobel, Frank, 2012. "International tax arbitrage and residence vs. source-based capital income taxation," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(4), pages 391-397.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Colin Rowat).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.