A New Approach to Rights in Social Choice Theory which Incorporates Utilitarianism
AbstractThe paper axiomatises a modified utilitarian aggregation rule under which different weights are assigned to utilities in different rights categories. The relationship between actions and the allocation of utility rights categories is investigated. Application is made to two famous examples which appear in the social choice literature.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Birmingham in its series Discussion Papers with number 00-1.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
SOCIAL CHOICE ; SOCIAL WELFARE ; RIGHTS;
Other versions of this item:
- Richard Barrett & Anne Petron-Brunel & Maurice Salles, 2004. "A new approach to rights in social choice theory which incorporates utilitarianism," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 17-28, 02.
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- D71 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Social Choice; Clubs; Committees; Associations
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Colin Rowat).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.