Challenges and Choices in Post-Crisis East-Asia : Simulations of Investment Policy Reform in an Intertemporal,Global Model
AbstractThe East Asian financial crisis exposed the problems of excessive government intervention in credit allocation and poor supervision of the banking system. We argue that the crisis is an opportunity to reformulate the strategies of growth by way of eliminating politicized intervention on investment. In an intertemporal general equilibrium model, we examine the adjustment processes of the crisis-hit region and the world economies, and investigate the removal of the investment subsidies. Our results suggest that the immediate impact of the crisis on the Asian economies is a contraction of GDP and investment. We also find significant welfare gains in the crisis-hit economies in response to elimination of the subsidies to firm's investment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bilkent University, Department of Economics in its series Departmental Working Papers with number 9816.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Xinshen Diao & Wenli Li & Erinc Yeldan, 1998. "Challenges and choices in post-crisis East-Asia: simulations of investment policy reform in an intertemporal, global model," Working Paper 98-07, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- C68 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computable General Equilibrium Models
- F11 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Neoclassical Models of Trade
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
- O53 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Asia including Middle East
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xinshen Diao & Terry Roe & Erinç Yeldan, 1998.
"Strategic Policies and Growth : An Applied Model of R&D-Driven Endogenous Growth,"
Departmental Working Papers
981, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Diao, Xinshen & Roe, Terry & Yeldan, Erinc, 1999. "Strategic policies and growth: an applied model of R&D-driven endogenous growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 343-380, December.
- McKinnon, Ronald I & Pill, Huw, 1997. "Credible Economic Liberalizations and Overborrowing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 189-93, May.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti & Nouriel Roubini, 1998.
"What Caused the Asian Currency and Financial Crisis?,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
343, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Pesenti, Paolo & Roubini, Nouriel, 1999. "What caused the Asian currency and financial crisis?," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 305-373, October.
- Corsetti, G. & Pesenti, P. & Roubini, N., 1998. "What Caused the Asian Currency and Financial Crisis?," Papers 343, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Alba, Pedro & Bhattacharya, Amar & Claessens, Stijn & Ghosh, Swati & Hernandez, Leonardo, 1998. "Volatility and contagion in a financially integrated world : lessons from East Asia's recent experience," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2008, The World Bank.
- J. Mercenier & Erinç Yeldan, 1996.
"On Turkey's Trade Policy : Is A Customs Union with Europe Enough?,"
Departmental Working Papers
964, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Mercenier, Jean & Yeldan, Erinc, 1997. "On Turkey's trade policy: Is a customs union with Europe enough?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 871-880, April.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 1996. "Foundations of International Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262150476, December.
- Mercenier, J. & Da Conceicao Sampaio de Souza, M., 1991.
"Structural Adjustment and Growth in a Highy Indebted Market Economy: Brazil,"
Cahiers de recherche
9103, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Mercenier, J. & Da Conceicao Sampaio De Souza, M., 1991. "Structural Adjustment And Growth In A Highy Indebted Market Economy: Brazil," Cahiers de recherche 9103, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Bardhan, Pranab, 1990. "Symposium on the State and Economic Development," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 4(3), pages 3-7, Summer.
- Diao, Xinshen & Somwaru, Agapi, 2000. "An Inquiry on General Equilibrium Effects of MERCOSUR--An Intertemporal World Model," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 557-588, September.
- Dalla, I. & Khatkhate, D., 1995. "Regulated Deregulation of the Financial System in Korea," World Bank - Discussion Papers 292, World Bank.
- Paul Krugman, 1996. "Are Currency Crises Self-Fulfilling?," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1996, Volume 11, pages 345-407 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McKinnon, Ronald I. & Pill, Huw, 1998.
"International Overborrowing: A Decomposition of Credit and Currency Risks,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1267-1282, July.
- Ronald I. McKinnon & Huw Pill, 1998. "International Overborrowing: A Decomposition of Credit and Currency Risks," Working Papers 98004, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Adelman, Irma & Yeldan, Erinc, 2000. "The Minimal Conditions for a Financial Crisis: A Multiregional Intertemporal CGE Model of the Asian Crisis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 1087-1100, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.