Announcements and Credibility under Inflation Targeting
AbstractWe inspect how inflation target announcements are instrumental in building central bank credibility and shaping inflation expectations. Investigating the role of announcements by using a time varying credibility measure, we find that both the accuracy and the frequency of inflation announcements have a positive impact on how much attention the public pays to target announcements.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bilkent University, Department of Economics in its series Departmental Working Papers with number 0705.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Demir, Banu & Yigit, Taner M., 2008. "Announcements and credibility under inflation targeting," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 249-253, August.
- NEP-ALL-2007-08-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2007-08-27 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2007-08-27 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2007-08-27 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arminio Fraga & Ilan Goldfajn & André Minella, 2003.
"Inflation Targeting in Emerging Market Economies,"
Working Papers Series
76, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Johnson, David R., 2002. "The effect of inflation targeting on the behavior of expected inflation: evidence from an 11 country panel," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(8), pages 1521-1538, November.
- David Johnson, 2003. "The Effect of Inflation Targets on the Level of Expected Inflation in Five Countries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 1076-1081, November.
- Walsh, Carl E, 2003. " Accountability, Transparency, and Inflation Targeting," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 35(5), pages 829-49, October.
- Faust, J. & Svensson, L.E.O., 1998.
"Transparency and Credibility: Monetary Policy with Unobservable Goals,"
636, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Faust, Jon & Svensson, Lars E O, 2001. "Transparency and Credibility: Monetary Policy with Unobservable Goals," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(2), pages 369-97, May.
- Jon Faust & Lars E. O. Svensson, 1998. "Transparency and Credibility: Monetary Policy with Unobservable Goals," NBER Working Papers 6452, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jon Faust & Lars E.O. Svensson, 1998. "Transparency and credibility: monetary policy with unobservable goals," International Finance Discussion Papers 605, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Svensson, Lars E.O. & Faust, John, 1998. "Transparency and Credibility: Monetary Policy with Unobservable Goals," Seminar Papers 636, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Faust, Jon & Svensson, Lars E O, 1998. "Transparency and Credibility: Monetary Policy with Unobservable Goals," CEPR Discussion Papers 1852, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Walsh, Carl E, 1999. "Announcements, Inflation Targeting and Central Bank Incentives," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 66(262), pages 255-69, May.
- Alex Cukierman, 1992. "Central Bank Strategy, Credibility, and Independence: Theory and Evidence," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262031981.
- Roman Horváth & Jakub Matějů, 2011.
"How Are Inflation Targets Set?,"
Working Papers IES
2011/01, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Jan 2011.
- Roman Horvath & Jakub Mateju, 2010. "How Are Inflation Targets Set?," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp426, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Roman Horvath & Jakub Mateju, 2011. "How are Inflation Targets Set?," Working Papers 2011/06, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Yigit, Taner M., 2010.
"Inflation targeting: An indirect approach to assess the direct impact,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1357-1368, November.
- Taner Yigit, 2007. "Inflation Targeting : An Indirect Approach to Assess the Direct Impact," Departmental Working Papers 0706, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.