Return and Maturity Relationships for Treasury Auctions : Evidence from Turkey
AbstractThe relationship between the interest rate and the maturity of newly issued bonds provides information on the debt dynamics of an economy as well as on the sustainability of its debt. Such information is crucial especially for countries that have debt-rollover concerns due to financial stress and/or macroeconomic instability. This study investigates the relationship between treasury auction maturity, which also dictates the debt maturity, and auction interest rates. When the Turkish treasury auction data from 1988 to 2004 are analysed, a reciprocal linkage between auction interest rates and maturities can be observed, especially for the 1995-2000 period, when there were chronic high inflation, high political uncertainty, high public deficits and unsuc-cessful attempts at stabilisation. This suggests that under an adverse shock, the Treasury decreases the auction maturity in order not to in-crease interest rates too much. A change in this reciprocal relationship is also reported for the post-2001 era, which is characterised by decreasing inflation, higher political stability, lower public deficits and successful stabilisation attempts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bilkent University, Department of Economics in its series Departmental Working Papers with number 0511.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Hakan Berument & Eray M. Yucel, 2005. "Return and maturity relationships for treasury auctions: evidence from Turkey," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 26(3), pages 385-419, September.
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- H60 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - General
- H63 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Debt; Debt Management; Sovereign Debt
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-05-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2006-05-13 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-FMK-2006-05-13 (Financial Markets)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Faruk Selcuk, 1997. "A Brief Account of the Turkish Economy, 1987-1996," Departmental Working Papers 971, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Alesina, A. & Prati, A. & Tabellini, G., 1989.
"Public Confidence And Debt Management: A Model And A Case Study Of Italy,"
5, California Los Angeles - Applied Econometrics.
- Alesina, Alberto F & Prati, Alessandro & Tabellini, Guido, 1989. "Public Confidence and Debt Management: A Model and a Case Study of Italy," CEPR Discussion Papers 351, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alberto Alesina & Alessandro Prati & Guido Tabellini, 1989. "Public Confidence and Debt Management: A Model and A Case Study of Italy," NBER Working Papers 3135, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francesco Giavazzi & Marco Pagano, 1989.
"Confidence Crises and Public Debt Management,"
NBER Working Papers
2926, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francesco Giavazzi & Marco Pagano, 1989. "Confidence Crises and Public Debt Management," Working Papers 73, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Giavazzi, Francesco & Pagano, Marco, 1989. "Confidence Crises and Public Debt Management," CEPR Discussion Papers 318, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Calvo, Guillermo A & Guidotti, Pablo E, 1992. "Optimal Maturity of Nominal Government Debt: An Infinite-Horizon Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(4), pages 895-919, November.
- Alessandro Missale & Olivier Jean Blanchard, 1991.
"The Debt Burden and Debt Maturity,"
NBER Working Papers
3944, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Calvo, Guillermo A, 1988. "Servicing the Public Debt: The Role of Expectations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 647-61, September.
- Drudi, Francesco & Giordano, Raffaela, 2000. "Default risk and optimal debt management," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 861-891, June.
- Hakan Berument & Kamuran Malatyali, 1999. "Determinants of interest rates in Turkey," Discussion Papers 9902, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Hakan Berument & Asli GÃ¼nay, 2003.
"Exchange Rate Risk and Interest Rate: A Case Study for Turkey,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 19-27, January.
- Hakan Berument & Aslý Günay, 2001. "Exchange Rate Risk and Interest Rate : A Case Study for Turkey," Departmental Working Papers 0110, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Robert J. Barro, 1995. "Optimal Debt Management," NBER Working Papers 5327, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berument, Hakan & Froyen, Richard T., 2006. "Monetary policy and long-term US interest rates," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 737-751, December.
- Hakan Berument & Nukhet Dogan & Aysit Tansel, 2008.
"Macroeconomic Policy and Unemployment by Economic Activity: Evidence from Turkey,"
2008/7, Turkish Economic Association.
- M. Hakan Berument & Nukhet Dogan & Aysit Tansel, 2009. "Macroeconomic Policy and Unemployment by Economic Activity: Evidence from Turkey," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 45(3), pages 21-34, May.
- Hakan Berument & Nukhet Dogan & Aysit Tansel, 2008. "Macroeconomic Policy and Unemployment by Economic Activity: Evidence from Turkey," Working Papers 429, Economic Research Forum, revised Aug 2008.
- Berument, Hakan & Dogan, Nukhet & Tansel, Aysit, 2008. "Macroeconomic Policy and Unemployment by Economic Activity: Evidence from Turkey," IZA Discussion Papers 3461, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hakan Berument & Nukhet Dogan & Aysit Tansel, 2008. "Macroeconomic Policy and Unemployment by Economic Activity: Evidence from Turkey," ERC Working Papers 0803, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Apr 2008.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.