The Pazner-Schmeidler Social Ordering: A Defense
AbstractIt is shown that the Pazner-Schmeidler social ordering appears as a very natural solution to the problem of defining social preferences over distributions of a fixed bundle of divisible goods. The paper follows an approach to preference aggregation which relies only on interpersonally non-comparable preferences, and circumvents Arrow's impossibility by taking account of the shape of indifference curves. Social preferences can then be constructed and justified with fairness principles.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bielefeld University, Center for Mathematical Economics in its series Working Papers with number 328.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2001
Date of revision:
social welfare; social choice; fairness; egalitarian-equivalence;
Other versions of this item:
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- D71 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Social Choice; Clubs; Committees; Associations
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Fleurbaey & F. Maniquet, 2008.
"Fair social orderings,"
Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 25-45, January.
- Tungodden, B., 1999.
"Egalitarianism: Is Leximin the Only Option?,"
4/99, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Sprumont, Yves & Zhou, Lin, 1999. "Pazner-Schmeidler rules in large societies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 321-339, April.
- M. Fleurbaey & A. Trannoy, 2000.
"The Impossibility of a Paretian Egalitarian,"
THEMA Working Papers
2000-26, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Hammond, Peter J, 1976. "Equity, Arrow's Conditions, and Rawls' Difference Principle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(4), pages 793-804, July.
- Elisha A. Pazner & David Schmeidler, 1975.
"Egalitarian Equivalent Allocations: A New Concept of Economic Equity,"
174, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Pazner, Elisha A & Schmeidler, David, 1978. "Egalitarian Equivalent Allocations: A New Concept of Economic Equity," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 92(4), pages 671-87, November.
- Thomson, William, 1988. "A study of choice correspondences in economies with a variable number of agents," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 237-254, December.
- FLEURBAEY, Marc & MANIQUET, François, .
"Fair income tax,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1845, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Maniquet, Francois & Sprumont, Yves, 2005.
"Welfare egalitarianism in non-rival environments,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 155-174, February.
- MANIQUET, François & SPRUMONT, Yves, . "Welfare egalitarianism in non-rival environments," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1826, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Francois Maniquet & Yves Sprumont, 2002. "Welfare Egalitarianism in Non-Rival Environments," Economics Working Papers 0016, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- Marc Fleurbaey & Koichi Tadenuma, 2005.
"Do Irrelevant Commodities Matter?,"
IDEP Working Papers
0504, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France, revised Jan 2005.
- Maniquet, François, 2008.
"Social orderings for the assignment of indivisible objects,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 199-215, November.
- MANIQUET, François, . "Social orderings for the assignment of indivisible objects," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2169, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Francois Maniquet, 2002. "Social Orderings for the Assignment of Indivisible Objects," Economics Working Papers 0015, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- Marc Fleurbaey, 2003. "Social Welfare, Priority to the Worst-Off And the Dimensions of Individual Well-Being," IDEP Working Papers 0312, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2003:i:31:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- SPRUMONT, Yves, 2007.
"Resource Egalitarianism with a Dash of Efficiency,"
Cahiers de recherche
2007-03, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Giacomo, VALETTA, 2007. "A fair solution to the compensation problem," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2007038, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Marc Fleurbaey, 2012. "Social preferences for the evaluation of procedures," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 599-614, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr. Frederik Herzberg).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.