A Tractable Consideration Set Structure for Network Revenue Management
AbstractThe dynamic program for choice network RM is intractable and approximated by a deterministic linear program called the CDLP. When the segment consideration sets overlap, the CDLP is difficult to solve. A weaker formulation (SDCP+) is tractable and approximates the CDLP value very closely. We show that if the segment consideration sets follow a tree structure, the two problems are equivalent, and give a counterexample to show that cycles can induce a gap between CDLP and the relaxation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Barcelona Graduate School of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 606.
Date of creation: Feb 2012
Date of revision:
discrete-choice models; network revenue management; consideration sets;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- L93 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Air Transportation
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
- M11 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Production Management
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joern Meissner & Arne Strauss, 2008.
"Network Revenue Management with Inventory-Sensitive Bid Prices and Customer Choice,"
MRG/0008, Department of Management Science, Lancaster University, revised Apr 2010.
- Meissner, Joern & Strauss, Arne, 2012. "Network revenue management with inventory-sensitive bid prices and customer choice," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 216(2), pages 459-468.
- Joern Meissner & Arne Strauss & Kalyan Talluri, 2011.
"An Enhanced Concave Program Relaxation for Choice Network Revenue Management,"
534, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Joern Meissner & Arne Strauss & Kalyan Talluri, 2011. "An Enhanced Concave Program Relaxation for Choice Network Revenue Management," Working Papers MRG/0020, Department of Management Science, Lancaster University, revised Jan 2011.
- Joern Meissner & Arne Strauss & Kalyan Talluri, 2011. "An enhanced concave program relaxation for choice network revenue management," Economics Working Papers 1259, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Aug 2011.
- Sumit Kunnumkal & Kalyan Talluri, 2012. "A new compact linear programming formulation for choice network revenue management," Economics Working Papers 1349, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Summit Kunnumkal & Kalyan Talluri, 2012. "A New Compact Linear Programming Formulation for Choice Network Revenue Management," Working Papers 677, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruno Guallar).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.