Employment Effects of Service Offshoring: Evidence from Matched Firms
AbstractThis paper studies the effects of service offshoring on the level and skill composition of domestic employment, using a rich data set of Italian firms and propensity score matching techniques. The results show that service offshoring has no effect on the level of employment but changes its composition in favor of high skilled workers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Barcelona Graduate School of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 417.
Date of creation: Dec 2009
Date of revision:
service offshoring; employment; skills; propensity score matching; sensitivity analysis;
Other versions of this item:
- Crinò, Rosario, 2010. "Employment effects of service offshoring: Evidence from matched firms," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 253-256, May.
- Rosario Crinò, 2009. "Employment Effects of Service Offshoring: Evidence from Matched Firms," Development Working Papers 286, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Rosario Crinò, 2009. "Employment Effects of Service Offshoring: Evidence from Matched Firms," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 800.09, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mary Amiti & Shang-Jin Wei, 2004.
"Fear of Service Outsourcing: Is it Justified?,"
IMF Working Papers
04/186, International Monetary Fund.
- Roberto Antonietti & Davide Antonioli, 2007.
"Production Offshoring and the Skill Composition of Italian Manufacturing Firms: A Counterfactual Analysis,"
2007.97, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Roberto Antonietti & Davide Antonioli, 2009. "Production offshoring and the skill composition of Italian manufacturing firms: a counterfactual analysis," Openloc Working Papers 0903, Public policies and local development.
- Rosario Crinò, 2009.
"Service Offshoring and White-Collar Employment,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
775.09, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Rosario Crin�, 2009. "Offshoring, Multinationals And Labour Market: A Review Of The Empirical Literature," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(2), pages 197-249, 04.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Phillip Swagel, 2006.
"The Politics and Economics of Offshore Outsourcing,"
NBER Working Papers
12398, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gregory Mankiw, N. & Swagel, Phillip, 2006. "The politics and economics of offshore outsourcing," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(5), pages 1027-1056, July.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Phillip Swagel, 2009. "The Politics and Economics of Offshore Outsourcing," Working Papers 25726, American Enterprise Institute.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Phillip Swagel, 2006. "The Politics and Economics of Offshore Outsourcing," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2120, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Tommaso Nannicini, 2006.
"A Simulation-Based Sensitivity Analysis for Matching Estimators,"
North American Stata Users' Group Meetings 2006
6, Stata Users Group.
- Tommaso Nannicini, 2007. "Simulation-based sensitivity analysis for matching estimators," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 7(3), pages 334-350, September.
- Tommaso Nannicini, 2009. "A simulation-based sensitivity analysis for matching estimators," Italian Stata Users' Group Meetings 2008 05, Stata Users Group.
- Ichino, Andrea & Mealli, Fabrizia & Nannicini, Tommaso, 2006.
"From Temporary Help Jobs to Permanent Employment: What Can We Learn from Matching Estimators and their Sensitivity?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2149, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andrea Ichino & Fabrizia Mealli & Tommaso Nannicini, 2008. "From temporary help jobs to permanent employment: what can we learn from matching estimators and their sensitivity?," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(3), pages 305-327.
- Ichino, Andrea & Mealli, Fabrizia & Nannicini, Tommaso, 2006. "From Temporary Help Jobs to Permanent Employment: What Can We Learn from Matching Estimators and their Sensitivity?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5736, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Geishecker, Ingo & Görg, Holger, 2008.
"Services Offshoring and Wages: Evidence from Micro Data,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3593, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ingo Geishecker & Holger Görg, 2008. "Services offshoring and wages: Evidence from micro data," Kiel Working Papers 1434, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Ingo Geishecker & Holger Görg, . "Services Offshoring and Wages: Evidence from Micro Data," Discussion Papers 08/22, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Gorg, Holger & Hanley, Aoife, 2005. "Labour demand effects of international outsourcing: Evidence from plant-level data," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 365-376.
- Runjuan Liu & Daniel Trefler, 2008. "Much Ado About Nothing: American Jobs and the Rise of Service Outsourcing to China and India," NBER Working Papers 14061, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Becker Sascha O & Muendler Marc-Andreas, 2008. "The Effect of FDI on Job Security," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-46, April.
- Edwin Leuven & Barbara Sianesi, 2003. "PSMATCH2: Stata module to perform full Mahalanobis and propensity score matching, common support graphing, and covariate imbalance testing," Statistical Software Components S432001, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 12 Feb 2014.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruno Guallar).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.