The optimal behaviour of firms facing stochastic costs
AbstractThis paper aims at assessing the optimal behavior of a firm facing stochastic costs of production. In an imperfectly competitive setting, we evaluate to what extent a firm may decide to locate part of its production in other markets different from which it is actually settled. This decision is taken in a stochastic environment. Portfolio theory is used to derive the optimal solution for the intertemporal profit maximization problem. In such a framework, splitting production between different locations may be optimal when a firm is able to charge different prices in the different local markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Barcelona Graduate School of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 161.
Date of creation: Feb 2005
Date of revision:
Firm behaviour; portfolio theory; risk aversion; uncertainity;
Other versions of this item:
- Francesco Menoncin & Rosella Nicolini, 2005. "The optimal behaviour of firms facing stochastic costs," Working Papers ubs0501, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Rosella Nicolini & Francesco Menoncin, 2005. "The optimal behaviour of firms facing stochastic costs," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 640.05, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koehn, Michael & Santomero, Anthony M, 1980. " Regulation of Bank Capital and Portfolio Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(5), pages 1235-44, December.
- Devereux, Michael P. & Griffith, Rachel, 1998.
"Taxes and the location of production: evidence from a panel of US multinationals,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 335-367, June.
- Michael Devereux & Rachel Griffith, 1996. "Taxes and the location of production: evidence from a panel of US multinationals," IFS Working Papers W96/14, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Asplund, Marcus, 2002.
"Risk-averse firms in oligopoly,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 20(7), pages 995-1012, September.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Banal - Estanol, Albert & Ottaviani, Marco, 2005.
"Mergers with Product Market Risk,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4831, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Leland, Hayne E, 1972. "Theory of the Firm Facing Uncertain Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(3), pages 278-91, June.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2002.
"Revisiting Oligopolistic Reaction: Are Decisions on Foreign Direct Investment Strategic Complements?,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 453-472, 09.
- Keith Head & John Ries & Thierry Mayer, 2002. "Revisiting oligopolistic reaction: are decisions on foreign direct investment strategic complements?," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pd, Sciences Po.
- Disdier, Anne-Celia & Mayer, Thierry, 2004.
"How different is Eastern Europe? Structure and determinants of location choices by French firms in Eastern and Western Europe,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 280-296, June.
- Anne-Celia Disdier & Thierry Mayer, 2003. "How Different is Eastern Europe? Structure and Determinants of Location Choices by French Firms in Eastern and Western Europe," Working Papers 2003-13, CEPII research center.
- Kim, Daesik & Santomero, Anthony M, 1988. " Risk in Banking and Capital Regulation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(5), pages 1219-33, December.
- Roberto Casarin & Carmine Trecroci, 2006. "Business Cycle and Stock Market Volatility: A Particle Filter Approach," Working Papers ubs0603, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruno Guallar).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.