Vente à distance, internet et dynamique des prix
AbstractThe share of retail sales made via distance selling has increased steadily, driven by Internet sales. Meanwhile, a large body of research has been devoted to measuring the impact of online shopping on consumer prices. These studies are based primarily on microeconomic data and they reveal contrasting effects due to diverging microeconomic behaviours. This paper aims to use a macro-sector estimation to show how the price-decreasing effects of Internet shopping outweigh the price-increasing effects. In that purpose, we use French price index series and distance selling sales covering about 30 sectors, from 1990 to 2007. We find that downward effects dominate: the recent development of distance selling, due to the development of online selling, results in lower prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banque de France in its series Working papers with number 288.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
E-Commerce; Price; Competition.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- L8 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-08-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2010-08-21 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-ICT-2010-08-21 (Information & Communication Technologies)
- NEP-IND-2010-08-21 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MIC-2010-08-21 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-NET-2010-08-21 (Network Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Michael D. Smith, 2000.
"Frictionless Commerce? A Comparison of Internet and Conventional Retailers,"
INFORMS, vol. 46(4), pages 563-585, April.
- Michael Smith & Erik Brynjolfsson, 1999. "Frictionless Commerce? A Comparison of Internet and Conventional Retailers," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 1022, Society for Computational Economics.
- Dennis W. Carlton & Judith A. Chevalier, 2001.
"Free Riding and Sales Strategies for the Internet,"
in: E-commerce, pages 441-461
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glenn Ellison & Sara Fisher Ellison, 2009.
"Search, Obfuscation, and Price Elasticities on the Internet,"
Econometric Society, vol. 77(2), pages 427-452, 03.
- Glenn Ellison & Sara Fisher Ellison, 2004. "Search, Obfuscation, and Price Elasticities on the Internet," NBER Working Papers 10570, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glenn Ellison & Sara Fisher Ellison, 2005. "Lessons About Markets from the Internet," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(2), pages 139-158, Spring.
- Michael D. Smith & Erik Brynjolfsson, 2001.
"Consumer Decision-making at an Internet Shopbot: Brand Still Matters,"
in: E-commerce, pages 541-558
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Smith, Michael D & Brynjolfsson, Erik, 2001. "Consumer Decision-Making at an Internet Shopbot: Brand Still Matters," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 541-58, December.
- Chris Forman & Anindya Ghose & Avi Goldfarb, 2009. "Competition Between Local and Electronic Markets: How the Benefit of Buying Online Depends on Where You Live," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 55(1), pages 47-57, January.
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Yu (Jeffrey) Hu & Mohammad S. Rahman, 2009. "Battle of the Retail Channels: How Product Selection and Geography Drive Cross-Channel Competition," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 55(11), pages 1755-1765, November.
- J. Yannis Bakos, 1997. "Reducing Buyer Search Costs: Implications for Electronic Marketplaces," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(12), pages 1676-1692, December.
- Austan Goolsbee & Judith Chevalier, 2002.
"Measuring Prices and Price Competition Online: Amazon and Barnes and Noble,"
NBER Working Papers
9085, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Austan Goolsbee & Judith Chevalier, 2002. "Measuring Prices and Price Competition Online: Amazon and Barnes and Noble," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm290, Yale School of Management, revised 12 Sep 2008.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie-Christine Petit-Djemad).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.