Unit Roots in White Noise
AbstractWe show that the empirical distribution of the roots of the vector auto-regression of order n fitted to T observations of a general stationary or non-stationary process, converges to the uniform distribution over the unit circle on the complex plane, when both T and n tend to infinity so that (ln T ) /n ? 0 and n3/T ? 0. In particular, even if the process is a white noise, the roots of the estimated vector auto-regression will converge by absolute value to unity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Becker Friedman Institute for Research In Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2009-004.
Date of creation: Mar 2009
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C01 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Econometrics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Soren JOHANSEN, 2001.
"The Asymptotic Variance of the Estimated Roots in a Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Model,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2001/01, European University Institute.
- Søren Johansen, 2003. "The asymptotic variance of the estimated roots in a cointegrated vector autoregressive model," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(6), pages 663-678, November.
- Lewis, Richard & Reinsel, Gregory C., 1985. "Prediction of multivariate time series by autoregressive model fitting," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 393-411, June.
- Clive W. J. Granger & Yongil Jeon, 2006. "Dynamics of Model Overfitting Measured in terms of Autoregressive Roots," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 347-365, 05.
- Bent Nielsen & Heino Bohn Nielsen, 2008.
"Properties of estimated characteristic roots,"
Economics Series Working Papers
2008-WO7, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Bent Nielsen & Heino Bohn Nielsen, 2008. "Properties of Estimated Characteristic Roots," Discussion Papers 08-13, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Bent Nielsen & Heino Bohn Nielsen, 2008. "Properties of etimated characteristic roots," Economics Papers 2008-W07, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Saikkonen, Pentti & Lütkepohl, HELMUT, 1996. "Infinite-Order Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(05), pages 814-844, December.
- Ulrich Mueller & Mark W. Watson, 2006.
"Testing Models of Low-Frequency Variability,"
NBER Working Papers
12671, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Toni Shears).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.