Asset Prices in the Presence of a Tax Authority
AbstractThis paper examines the equilibrium effect of a shift in the capital income tax rate upon state prices, risk-neutral probabilities, and corresponding security prices in a single-period binomial model economy with an exogenous risk-free rate. The policy design under consideration consists of a simple linear tax code that applies the economic rent as a tax base. It is shown that if tax proceeds are transferred to outsiders, a shift in the tax rate affects state prices, risk-neutral probabilities as well as equilibrium security prices. Thereby, the effect for the equilibrium price of a security is sensitive with respect to the correlation between its own payoff and the payoff of the market portfolio. If in contrast tax proceeds are redistributed within the cohort of market participants, risk-neutral probabilities, and security prices are unaffected by a change in the tax rate, although state prices are sensitive with respect to the tax rate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Berkeley Electronic Press in its series German Working Papers in Law and Economics with number 2006-1-1167.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.bepress.com/gwp/default/
Equilibrium security prices; capital income tax; risk-neutral probability measure;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D50 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - General
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G31 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Capital Budgeting; Fixed Investment and Inventory Studies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2007-03-24 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2007-03-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2007-03-24 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2007-03-24 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-LAW-2007-03-24 (Law & Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Litzenberger, Robert H. & Ramaswamy, Krishna, 1979. "The effect of personal taxes and dividends on capital asset prices : Theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 163-195, June.
- Poterba, James M., 2002.
"Taxation, risk-taking, and household portfolio behavior,"
Handbook of Public Economics,
in: A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (ed.), Handbook of Public Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 17, pages 1109-1171
- James M. Poterba, 2001. "Taxation, Risk-Taking, and Household Portfolio Behavior," NBER Working Papers 8340, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ellen R. McGrattan & Edward C. Prescott, 2004.
"Taxes, Regulations, and the Value of U.S. and U.K. Corporations,"
122247000000000715, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Ellen R. McGrattan & Edward C. Prescott, 2005. "Taxes, Regulations, and the Value of U.S. and U.K. Corporations," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(3), pages 767-796.
- Ellen R. McGrattan & Edward C. Prescott, 2005. "Taxes, regulations, and the value of U.S. and U.K. corporations," Staff Report 309, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Karen K. Lewis, 1999. "Trying to Explain Home Bias in Equities and Consumption," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(2), pages 571-608, June.
- Stein, Jeremy & Kubik, Jeffrey D. & Hong, Harrison, 2008.
"The Only Game in Town: Stock-Price Consequences of Local Bias,"
3710665, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Hong, Harrison & Kubik, Jeffrey D. & Stein, Jeremy C., 2008. "The only game in town: Stock-price consequences of local bias," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 20-37, October.
- Harrison Hong & Jeffrey D. Kubik & Jeremy C. Stein, 2005. "The Only Game in Town: Stock-Price Consequences of Local Bias," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2077, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Harrison Hong & Jeffrey D. Kubik & Jeremy C. Stein, 2005. "The Only Game in Town: Stock-Price Consequences of Local Bias," NBER Working Papers 11488, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Isabelle Joumard, 2002.
"Tax systems in European Union countries,"
OECD Economic Studies,
OECD Publishing, vol. 2002(1), pages 91-151.
- Jeremy I. Bulow & Lawrence H. Summers, 1982.
"The Taxation of Risky Assets,"
NBER Working Papers
0897, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mankiw, N.G. & Zeldes, S.P., 1990.
"The Consumption Of Stockholders And Non-Stockholders,"
Weiss Center Working Papers
23-90, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory & Zeldes, Stephen P., 1991. "The consumption of stockholders and nonstockholders," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 97-112, March.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Stephen P. Zeldes, 1990. "The Consumption of Stockholders and Non-Stockholders," NBER Working Papers 3402, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gordon, Roger H, 1985. "Taxation of Corporate Capital Income: Tax Revenues versus Tax Distortions," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(1), pages 1-27, February.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1969.
"The Effects of Income, Wealth, and Capital Gains Taxation on Risk-Taking,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 263-83, May.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1968. "The Effects of Income, Wealth, and Capital Gains Taxation on Risk Taking," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 248, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Brennan, M. J. & Kraus, Alan, 1978. "Necessary Conditions for Aggregation in Securities Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(03), pages 407-418, September.
- Litzenberger, Robert H & Ramaswamy, Krishna, 1980. " Dividends, Short Selling Restrictions, Tax-Induced Investor Clienteles and Market Equilibrium," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(2), pages 469-82, May.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1989. "Differential taxation and the encouragement of risk-taking," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 55-59.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1964. "Tax Deductibility of Economic Depreciation to Insure Invariant Valuations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72, pages 604.
- Margit Schratzenstaller, 2003. "Dualisierung von Einkommensteuersystemen: Stand und Perspektiven im internationalen Vergleich," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 72(4), pages 535-550.
- Schosser, Josef, 2008. "Bewertung ohne "Kapitalkosten": Ein arbitragetheoretischer Ansatz zu Unternehmenswert, Kapitalstruktur und persönlicher Besteuerung," Passauer Diskussionspapiere, Betriebswirtschaftliche Reihe 13, University of Passau, Faculty of Business and Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.