Credit determinants and its impact of firms' growth in Colombia
AbstractIn recent years, credit growth has been accelerated recording higher levels of credit as a percentage of GDP, compared to previous years in some countries of Latin America. In Colombia, credit to GDP indicator had increased almost 10 percentage points in the last five years. For this reason, it is interesting to study the behavior in Colombia analyzing credit boom episodes, and the possible impacts on the economy. This paper provides an econometric analysis of economic determinants of credit portfolio as a percentage of GDP, in order to _nd the level of this indicator which is supported by its determinants. We found that Interbank rate, National-debt-to-GDP, Household-consumption-to-GDP and the level of investment-to-GDP are the main determinants of credit portfolio-to-GDP. On the other hand, we determine the level of commercial credit-to-GDP that is consistent with its determinants. Then we evaluated how this indicator of financial deepening affects firm’s growth rate in Colombia. The results suggest in Colombia the portfolio to GDP ratio is not significantly above from its consistent level at ends to 2011. It was also found the effect of financial deepening in business growth is positive and quite significant. Also as expected the effect of being in debt depends heavily on the sector to which the firm belongs. In general being in debt increased the firm´s rate growth and brings an externality that affects not indebted firms. This open the debate if macro prudential measures that affect all types of portfolio are more damaging than those that specialized.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de la Republica de Colombia in its series Temas de Estabilidad Financiera with number 067.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Cra 7 # 14-78 Piso 7
Phone: (57-1) 3431111
Fax: (57-1) 2841686
Web page: http://www.banrep.gov.co/publicaciones/pub_es_fin.htm
More information through EDIRC
Financial deepening; lending boom; microeconomic development; macroeconomic determinants; firms growth. Classification JEL: G21; O12; O16;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- fir - - - - - -
- gro - - - - - -
- Cla - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - - - -
- JEL - Labor and Demographic Economics - - - - -
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francisco A. Gallego & Norman Loayza, 2000.
"Financial Structure in Chile: Macroeconomic Developments and Microeconomic Effects,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1115, Econometric Society.
- Francisco Gallego Y. & Norman Loayza., 2000. "Financial Structure in Chile: Macroeconomic Developments and Microeconomic Effects," Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 3(2), pages 5-30, August.
- Francisco Gallego & Norman Loayza, 2000. "Financial Structure in Chile: Macroeconomic Developments and Microeconomic Effects," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 75, Central Bank of Chile.
- Marcela Eslava & Arturo Galindo & Marc Hofstetter & Alejandro Izquierdo, 2010. "Scarring Recessions and Credit Constraints: Evidence from Colombian Firm Dynamics," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 007711, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Camilo Millán).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.