An Early Warning Model for Predicting Credit Booms using Macroeconomic Aggregates
AbstractIn this paper, we propose an alternative methodology to determine the existence of credit booms, which is a complex and crucial issue for policymakers. In particular, we exploit the Mendoza and Terrones (2008)’s idea that macroeconomic aggregates other than the credit growth rate contain valuable information to predict credit boom episodes. Our econometric method is used to estimate and predict the probability of being in a credit boom. We run empirical exercises on quarterly data for six Latin American countries between 1996 and 2011. In order to capture simultaneously model and parameter uncertainty, we implement the Bayesian model averaging method. As we employ panel data, the estimates may be used to predict booms of countries which are not considered in the estimation. Overall, our findings show that macroeconomic variables contain valuable information to predict credit booms. In fact, with our method the probability of detecting a credit boom is 80%, while the probability of not having false alarms is greater than 92%.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de la Republica de Colombia in its series Borradores de Economia with number 723.
Date of creation: Jul 2012
Date of revision:
Early Warning Indicator; Credit Booms; Business Cycles; Emerging Markets. Classification JEL:E32; E37; E44; E51; C53.;
Other versions of this item:
- Alexander Guarín & Andrés González & Daphné Skandalis & Daniela Sánchez, 2012. "An Early Warning Model for Predicting Credit Booms using Macroeconomic Aggregates," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 009826, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Eme - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - - - -
- Mar - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - - - -
- Cla - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - - - -
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-08-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-FOR-2012-08-23 (Forecasting)
- NEP-MAC-2012-08-23 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & George Saravelos, 2010. "Are Leading Indicators of Financial Crises Useful for Assessing Country Vulnerability? Evidence from the 2008-09 Global Crisis," NBER Working Papers 16047, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carlos Quicazán, . "Profundización Financiera y su efecto en las Firmas en Colombia," Temas de Estabilidad Financiera 070, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Camilo Millán).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.