Data Revisions and the Output Gap
AbstractPreliminary and delayed Colombian GDP reports are replaced with optimal in-sample now-casts of "true" GDP figures derived from a model for data revisions. The new GDP time series is augmented with optimal out-of-sample forecasts and back-casts of the "true" GDP figures derived from the same model. The trend-cycle component of the augmented GDP series is filtered. The resulting gap is more resistant than the ordinary HP filter to the end of sample optimal filtering problem as well as to GDP revisions and delays. The short term noise of the final output gap estimate is also reduced. Adjusting for data revisions and delays reduce the uncertainty of estimated gaps. The extended and further extended HP estimates of the output gap show an impressive efficiency gain with respect to the ordinary HP gap, 43% and 47% respectively, on average. The new extension increases the efficiency in 7.4%, on average, with respect to extended HP estimates. These results constitute a benchmark to future work on real time estimation of the output gap under GDP revisions and delays in Colombia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de la Republica de Colombia in its series Borradores de Economia with number 642.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Data Revisions; Now-casting; Real Time Economic Analysis. Classification JEL: C22; C53; C82.;
Other versions of this item:
- Rea - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - - - -
- Tim - - - - - -
- Eco - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - - - -
- Ana - General Economics and Teaching - - - - -
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacobs, Jan P.A.M. & van Norden, Simon, 2011. "Modeling data revisions: Measurement error and dynamics of "true" values," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 101-109, April.
- Regina Kaiser & Agustín Maravall, 1999.
"Estimation of the business cycle: A modified Hodrick-Prescott filter,"
Spanish Economic Review,
Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 175-206.
- Regina Kaiser & Agustín Maravall, 1999. "Estimation of the Business Cycle: a Modified Hodrick-Prescott Filter," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 9912, Banco de Espa�a.
- S. Boragan Aruoba, 2008.
"Data Revisions Are Not Well Behaved,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(2-3), pages 319-340, 03.
- Anthony Garratt & James Mitchell & Shaun P. Vahey, 2009.
"Measuring Output Gap Uncertainty,"
Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance
0909, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Anthony Garratt & James Mitchell & Shaun P. Vahey, 2009. "Measuring output gap uncertainty," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2009/15, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Garratt, Anthony & Mitchell, James & Vahey, Shaun, 2010. "Measuring Output Gap Uncertainty," CEPR Discussion Papers 7742, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Silvia Lui & James Mitchell & Martin Weale, 2009. "Measuring Output Gap Uncertainty," NIESR Discussion Papers 343, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- James Mitchell & Garratt, A., Vahey, S.P., 2009. "Measuring Output Gap Uncertainty," NIESR Discussion Papers 342, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Alejandro López & Carolina Gómez & Norberto Rodríguez, 1996.
"La caida de la tasa de Ahorro en Colombia durante los años noventa: Evidencia a partir de una base de datos para el período 1950-1993,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
002945, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Alejandro López & Carolina Gómez & Norberto Rodríguez, . "La Caida de la Tasa de Ahorro en Colombia Durante los Años Noventa: Evidencia a Partir de una Base de Datos para el Período 1950-1993," Borradores de Economia 057, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Regina Kaiser & Agustín Maravall, 2004.
"Combining filter design with model based filtering (with an application to business cycle estimation),"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
0417, Banco de Espa�a.
- Kaiser, Regina & Maravall, Agustin, 2005. "Combining filter design with model-based filtering (with an application to business-cycle estimation)," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 691-710.
- Juan Manuel Julio Román, 2011.
"Modeling Data Revisions,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
007929, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Julio Roman, Juan Manuel, 2011. "The Hodrick-Prescott filter with priors: linear restrictions on HP filters," MPRA Paper 34202, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Camilo Millán).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.