A Historical Analysis of Central Bank Independence in Latin America: The Colombian Experience, 1923-2008
AbstractThis paper explores the relationship between central bank independence and inflation in Latin America, using as a case study the experience of Colombia (1923-2008). Since its creation, in 1923, Colombia’s central bank has undergone several reforms that have changed its objectives and degree of independence. Between 1923 and 1951, it was private and independent, with a legal commitment to price stability. In 1962 monetary responsibilities were divided between a government-dominated Monetary Board, in charge of monetary policy, and the central bank, which carried them out. In the early 1990s, the bank recovered its independence and its focus on price stability. Inflation varied substantially during these subperiods. The analysis shows that central bank independence, combined with a commitment to price stability, renders the best results in terms of price stability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de la Republica de Colombia in its series Borradores de Economia with number 573.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Central bank; independece; structural break; Colombia. Classification JEL:B15; E31; E58;
Other versions of this item:
- Meisel, Adolfo & Barón, Juan D., 2010. "A historical analysis of central bank independence in Latin America: the Colombian experience, 1923-2008," Revista de Historia Económica, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(01), pages 83-102, March.
- Adolfo Meisel & Juan David Barón, 2009. "A Historical Analysis of Central Bank Independence in Latin America: The Colombian Experience, 1923-2008," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 005788, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Col - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - - - -
- Cla - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - - - -
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cukierman, Alex, 2007.
"Central Bank Independence and Monetary Policymaking Institutions - Past Present and Future,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6441, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alex Cukierman, 2007. "Central Bank Independence and Monetary Policymaking Institutions: Past, Present, and Future," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 54(4), pages 367-395, December.
- Alex Cukierman, 2006. "Central Bank Independence And Monetary Policy Making Institutions: Past, Present, And Future," Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 9(1), pages 5-23, April.
- Cukierman, Alex, 2008. "Central bank independence and monetary policymaking institutions -- Past, present and future," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 722-736, December.
- Alex Cukierman, 2006. "Central Bank Independence and Monetary Policymaking Institutions: Past, Present, and Future," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 360, Central Bank of Chile.
- Bevger, H. & Haan, J. de & Eijffinger, S.C.W., 2000.
"Central Bank Independence: An Update of Theory and Evidence,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-82768, Tilburg University.
- Berger, Helge & de Haan, Jakob & Eijffinger, Sylvester C W, 2001. " Central Bank Independence: An Update of Theory and Evidence," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 3-40, February.
- Berger, Helge & de Haan, Jakob & Eijffinger, Sylvester C W, 2000. "Central Bank Independence: An Update of Theory and Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 2353, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Haan, Jakob de & Kooi, Willem J., 2000. "Does central bank independence really matter?: New evidence for developing countries using a new indicator," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 643-664, April.
- Rolnick, Arthur J & Weber, Warren E, 1983. "New Evidence on the Free Banking Era," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(5), pages 1080-91, December.
- José Manuel Restrepo, 2000. "Central Bank Independence and inflation: the case of Colombia. 1924 - 1998," REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Crowe, Christopher & Meade, Ellen E., 2008.
"Central bank independence and transparency: Evolution and effectiveness,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 763-777, December.
- Christopher Crowe & Ellen E. Meade, 2007. "Central Bank Independence and Transparency: Evolution and Effectiveness," Working Papers 2007-20, American University, Department of Economics.
- Christopher W. Crowe & Ellen E. Meade, 2008. "Central Bank Independence and Transparency: Evolution and Effectiveness," IMF Working Papers 08/119, International Monetary Fund.
- Rockoff, Hugh, 1974. "The Free Banking Era: A Reexamination," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 6(2), pages 141-67, May.
- Jácome, Luis I. & Vázquez, Francisco, 2008. "Is there any link between legal central bank independence and inflation? Evidence from Latin America and the Caribbean," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 788-801, December.
- Rogoff, Kenneth, 1985. "The Optimal Degree of Commitment to an Intermediate Monetary Target," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(4), pages 1169-89, November.
- Otero, Jesus & Ramirez, Manuel, 2006. "Inflation before and after central bank independence: The case of Colombia," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 168-182, February.
- Andrés Felipe Giraldo Palomino, 2007. "Aspectos institucionales de la banca central en Colombia 1963-2004: la junta monetaria y la junta directiva del Banco de la República," DOCUMENTOS DE ECONOMÃA 004448, UNIVERSIDAD JAVERIANA - BOGOTÁ.
- Alberto Alesina, 1988. "Macroeconomics and Politics," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1988, Volume 3, pages 13-62 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eva Gutierrez, 2003. "Inflation Performance and Constitutional Central Bank Independence: Evidence From Latin America and the Caribbean," IMF Working Papers 03/53, International Monetary Fund.
- Cukierman, Alex & Webb, Steven B & Neyapti, Bilin, 1992. "Measuring the Independence of Central Banks and Its Effect on Policy Outcomes," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(3), pages 353-98, September.
- Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & de Luna, Xavier, 2002. "Central Bank Independence and Price Stability: Evidence from 23 OECD-countries," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 589, Umeå University, Department of Economics, revised 12 Jun 2003.
- Thomas J. Sargent & Neil Wallace, 1981. "Some unpleasant monetarist arithmetic," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall.
RePEc Biblio mentionsAs found on the RePEc Biblio, the curated bibliography for Economics:reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Camilo Millán).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.