Multifactor Productivity and its Determinants: Al Empirical Analysis for Mexican Manufacturing
AbstractWe use data from the Annual Industrial Survey for 1996-2003. First, we estimate production functions by means of growth accounting exercises and panel data econometrics for the whole sector and for 14 comprehensive groups. Various measures of Multifactor Productivity (MFP) are constructed, as we consider diverse combinations of inputs with capital, labour, electricity and transport. This allows us to compare MFP growth rates between groups. Second, we analyse econometrically some of the determinants of MFP and Labour Productivity (LP) growth. We find that, on the one hand, there is some evidence of a positive relationship between market concentration and technology adoption; on the other hand, both technology adoption and human capital seem to be promoting productivity, whilst market concentration is exerting a negative influence on it. In sum, our results suggest that, once controlling for the effect on technology adoption, more concentration (conversely, less competition) has a negative impact on productivity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de México in its series Working Papers with number 2007-09.
Date of creation: May 2007
Date of revision:
Panel data; Productivity; Manufacturing; Competition;
Other versions of this item:
- Héctor Salgado Banda & Lorenzo Bernal Verdugo, 2011. "Multifactor productivity and its determinants: an empirical analysis for Mexican manufacturing," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 293-308, December.
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-06-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2007-06-30 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2007-06-30 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EFF-2007-06-30 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1999.
"GMM estimation with persistent panel data: an application to production functions,"
IFS Working Papers
W99/04, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard Blundell & Stephen Bond, 2000. "GMM Estimation with persistent panel data: an application to production functions," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 321-340.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta, 2003.
"Regulation, productivity and growth: OECD evidence,"
CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 18(36), pages 9-72, 04.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta, 2003. "Regulation, Productivity and Growth: OECD Evidence," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 347, OECD Publishing.
- Nicoletti, Giuseppe & Scarpetta, Stefano, 2003. "Regulation, productivity, and growth : OECD evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2944, The World Bank.
- Ann Harrison & Gordon Hanson, 1999.
"Who Gains from Trade Reform? Some Remaining Puzzles,"
NBER Working Papers
6915, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harrison, Ann & Hanson, Gordon, 1999. "Who gains from trade reform? Some remaining puzzles," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 125-154, June.
- Zvi Griliches & Jerry A. Hausman, 1984.
"Errors in Variables in Panel Data,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0037, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Disney, Richard F & Haskel, Jonathan & Heden, Ylva, 2000.
"Restructuring And Productivity Growth In UK Manufacturing,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2463, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Disney & Jonathan Haskel & Ylva Heden, 2003. "Restructuring and productivity growth in uk manufacturing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(489), pages 666-694, 07.
- Nickell, S.J., 1993.
"Competition and Crporate Performance,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99155, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Raphael Bergoeing & Patrick J. Kehoe & Timothy J. Kehoe & Raimundo Soto, 2002. "Decades lost and found: Mexico and Chile since 1980," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 3-30.
- Marcela Eslava & John Haltiwanger & Adriana Kugler & Maurice Kugler, 2004.
"The Effects of Structural Reforms on Productivity and Profitability Enhancing Reallocation: Evidence from Colombia,"
134, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Eslava, Marcela & Haltiwanger, John & Kugler, Adriana & Kugler, Maurice, 2004. "The effects of structural reforms on productivity and profitability enhancing reallocation: evidence from Colombia," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 333-371, December.
- Eslava, Marcela & Haltiwanger, John & Kugler, Adriana & Kugler, Maurice, 2004. "The effects of structural reforms on productivity and profitabality enhancing reallocation: evidence from Colombia," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 0408, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Eslava, Marcela & Haltiwanger Jr, John C & Kugler, Adriana D. & Kugler, Maurice, 2004. "The Effects of Structural Reforms on Productivity- and Profitability-Enhancing Reallocation: Evidence from Colombia," CEPR Discussion Papers 4569, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marcela Eslava & John Haltiwanger & Adriana Kugler & Maurice Kugler, 2004. "The effects of structural reforms on productivity and profitability enhancing reallocation: Evidence from Colombia," Economics Working Papers 763, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Marcela Eslava & John Haltiwanger & Adriana Kugler & Maurice Kugler, 2004. "The Effect of Structural Reforms on Productivity and Profitability Enhancing Reallocation: Evidence from Colombia," NBER Working Papers 10367, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ebrima Faal, 2005. "GDP Growth, Potential Output, and Output Gaps in Mexico," IMF Working Papers 05/93, International Monetary Fund.
- Cameron, G. & Proudman, J. & Redding, S., 1998.
"Deconstructing Growth in UK Manufacturing,"
28, Centre for Economic Performance & Institute of Economics.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, .
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model,"
W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Carlos Casacuberta & Gabriela Fachola & Nestor Gandelman, 2004.
"The Impact of Trade Liberalization on Employment, Capital, and Productivity Dynamics: Evidence from the Uruguayan Manufacturing Sector,"
Research Department Publications
3170, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Carlos Casacuberta & Gabriela Fachola & Nestor Gandelman, 2004. "The impact of trade liberalization on employment, capital, and productivity dynamics: evidence from the uruguayan manufacturing sector," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(4), pages 225-248.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 2000.
"Exporting and Productivity,"
00-07, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Basu, S. & Fernald, J.G., 1993.
"Are Apparent Productive Spillovers a Figment of Specification Error,"
93-22, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Basu, Susanto & Fernald, John G., 1995. "Are apparent productive spillovers a figment of specification error?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 165-188, August.
- Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald, 1999. "Are Apparent Productive Spillovers a Figment of Specification Error?," NBER Working Papers 5073, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald, 1994. "Are apparent productive spillovers a figment of specification error?," International Finance Discussion Papers 463, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- repec:idb:brikps:22958 is not listed on IDEAS
- Steve Bond & Céline Nauges & Frank Windmeijer, 2005. "Unit roots: identification and testing in micro panels," CeMMAP working papers CWP07/05, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald, 1996.
"Returns to scale in U.S. production: estimates and implications,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
546, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Basu, Susanto & Fernald, John G, 1997. "Returns to Scale in U.S. Production: Estimates and Implications," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(2), pages 249-83, April.
- Griffith, Rachel, 1999. "Using the ARD Establishment Level Data to Look at Foreign Ownership and Productivity in the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(456), pages F416-42, June.
- Klette, Tor Jakob, 1999.
"Market Power, Scale Economies and Productivity: Estimates from a Panel of Establishment Data,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(4), pages 451-76, December.
- Klette, T.J., 1998. "Market Power, Scale Economies and Productivity: Estimates from a Panel of Establishment Data," Memorandum 15/1998, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Okada, Yosuke, 2005. "Competition and productivity in Japanese manufacturing industries," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 586-616, December.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Erik Biørn & Kjersti-Gro Lindquist & Terje Skjerpen, 2000.
"Heterogeneity in Returns to Scale: A Random Coefficient Analysis with Unbalanced Panel Data,"
292, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Erik Biørn & Kjersti-Gro Lindquist & Terje Skjerpen, 2002. "Heterogeneity in Returns to Scale: A Random Coefficient Analysis with Unbalanced Panel Data," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 39-57, July.
- Yosuke Okada, 2005. "Competition and Productivity in Japanese Manufacturing Industries," NBER Working Papers 11540, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rachel Griffith & Rupert Harisson, 2004. "The link between product market reform and macro-economic performance," European Economy - Economic Papers 209, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Young, Alwyn, 1995. "The Tyranny of Numbers: Confronting the Statistical Realities of the East Asian Growth Experience," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(3), pages 641-80, August.
- Calderón-Madrid, Angel & Voicu, Alexandru, 2004. "Total Factor Productivity Growth and Job Turnover in Mexican Manufacturing Plants in the 1990s," IZA Discussion Papers 993, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Frauke G. Braun & Astrid Cullmann, 2008. "Key Parameters and Efficiency of Mexican Manufacturing: Are There Still Differences between the North and the South? An Application of Nested and Stochastic Frontier Panel Data Models," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 816, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Sánchez-Valadez, Manuel, 2012. "Decisiones financieras, competencia en el mercado y desempeño de las empresas: Evidencia empírica para Iberoamérica/Financial Decisions, Market Competition and Firm Performance: Empirical Evidence ," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 30, pages 359 (36 pag, Abril.
- Dutrénit, gabriela & Capdevielle, Mario & Corona, Juan Manuel & Puchet, Martin & Santiago, Fernando & Vera-Cruz, Alexandre, 2010.
"El sistema nacional de innovación mexicano: estructuras, políticas, desempeño y desafíos
[The Mexican national innovation system: structures, policies, performance and challenges]," MPRA Paper 31982, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daniel Chiquiar & Manuel Ramos Francia, 2009. "Competitiveness and Growth of the Mexican Economy," Working Papers 2009-11, Banco de México.
- Nicolás Amoroso & Daniel Chiquiar & Núria Quella & Manuel Ramos Francia, 2008. "Determinants of the Comparative Advantage and of the Performance of Mexico’s Manufacturing Exports During 1996-2005," Working Papers 2008-01, Banco de México.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dirección de Sistemas).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.