Bayesian analysis of coefficient instability in dynamic regressions
AbstractThis paper proposes a Bayesian regression model with time-varying coefficients (TVC) that makes it possible to estimate jointly the degree of instability and the time-path of regression coefficients. Thanks to its computational tractability, the model proves suitable to perform the first (to our knowledge) Monte Carlo study of the finite-sample properties of a TVC model. Under several specifications of the data generating process, the proposed model’s estimation precision and forecasting accuracy compare favourably with those of other methods commonly used to deal with parameter instability. Furthermore, the TVC model leads to small losses of efficiency under the null of stability and it is robust to mis-specification, providing a satisfactory performance also when regression coefficients experience discrete structural breaks. As a demonstrative application, we use our TVC model to estimate the exposures of S&P 500 stocks to market-wide risk factors: we find that a vast majority of stocks have time-varying risk exposures and that the TVC model helps to forecast these exposures more accurately.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area in its series Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) with number 836.
Date of creation: Nov 2011
Date of revision:
time-varying regression; coefficient instability;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C11 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Bayesian Analysis: General
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C50 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-12-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2011-12-19 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2011-12-19 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FOR-2011-12-19 (Forecasting)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koop, Gary & Korobilis, Dimitris, 2010.
"Bayesian Multivariate Time Series Methods for Empirical Macroeconomics,"
Foundations and Trends(R) in Econometrics,
now publishers, vol. 3(4), pages 267-358, July.
- Gary Koop & Dimitris Korobilis, 2009. "Bayesian Multivariate Time Series Methods for Empirical Macroeconomics," Working Paper Series 47_09, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jan 2009.
- Koop, Gary & Korobilis, Dimitris, 2009. "Bayesian Multivariate Time Series Methods for Empirical Macroeconomics," MPRA Paper 20125, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- BAI, Jushan & PERRON, Pierre, 1998.
"Computation and Analysis of Multiple Structural-Change Models,"
Cahiers de recherche
9807, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 2003. "Computation and analysis of multiple structural change models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 1-22.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark F.J. Steel, 1998.
"Benchmark Priors for Bayesian Model Averaging,"
9804001, EconWPA, revised 31 Jul 1999.
- Carmen Fernandez & E Ley & Mark F J Steel, 2004. "Benchmark priors for Bayesian models averaging," ESE Discussion Papers 66, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Carmen Fernández & Eduardo Ley & Mark F. J. Steel, . "Benchmark priors for Bayesian Model averaging," Working Papers 98-06, FEDEA.
- Robert, Christian P., 2007. "The Bayesian Choice: From Decision Theoretic Foundations to Computational Implementation," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1908, Paris Dauphine University.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1994.
"Evidence on Structural Instability in Macroeconomic Time Series Relations,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0164, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1996. "Evidence on Structural Instability in Macroeconomic Time Series Relations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(1), pages 11-30, January.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1994. "Evidence on structural instability in macroeconomic times series relations," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 94-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Fabio Canova & Matteo Ciccarelli, 2009.
"Estimating Multicountry Var Models,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 50(3), pages 929-959, 08.
- Fabio Canova & Matteo Ciccarelli, 2007. "Estimating Multi-country VAR models," Discussion Papers 7_2007, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Canova, Fabio & Ciccarelli, Matteo, 2006. "Estimating multi-country VAR models," Working Paper Series 0603, European Central Bank.
- Fabio Canova & Matteo Ciccarelli, 2002. "Estimating multi-country VAR models," Economics Working Papers 920, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Apr 2008.
- Matteo Ciccarelli & Fabio Canova, 2006. "Estimating Multi-country VAR models," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 478, Society for Computational Economics.
- Thomas Sargent & Noah Williams & Tao Zha, 2006.
"Shocks and Government Beliefs: The Rise and Fall of American Inflation,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 96(4), pages 1193-1224, September.
- Thomas Sargent & Noah Williams & Tao Zha, 2004. "Shocks and government beliefs: the rise and fall of American inflation," Working Paper 2004-22, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Thomas Sargent & Noah Williams & Tao Zha, 2004. "Shocks and Government Beliefs: The Rise and Fall of American Inflation," NBER Working Papers 10764, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1998.
"Testing for Structural Change in Conditional Models,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
310., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 2000. "Testing for structural change in conditional models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 93-115, July.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Inpyo Lee & Werner Ploberger, 1992.
"Optimal Changepoint Tests for Normal Linear Regression,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1016, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W. K. & Lee, Inpyo & Ploberger, Werner, 1996. "Optimal changepoint tests for normal linear regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 9-38, January.
- Fabio Canova & Luca Gambetti, 2003.
"Structural changes in the US economy: is there a role for monetary policy?,"
Economics Working Papers
918, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Apr 2008.
- Canova, Fabio & Gambetti, Luca, 2009. "Structural changes in the US economy: Is there a role for monetary policy?," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 477-490, February.
- Koop, Gary & Leon-Gonzalez, Roberto & Strachan, Rodney W., 2009. "On the evolution of the monetary policy transmission mechanism," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 997-1017, April.
- repec:wop:humbsf:1995-3 is not listed on IDEAS
- J. Ghosh & Rahul Mukerjee, 1993. "Corrections to “Frequentist validity of highest posterior density regions in the multiparameter case”," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 45(3), pages 602-602, September.
- Joel Horowitz, 2000. "An Adaptive, Rate-Optimal Test of a Parametric Model Against a Nonparametric Alternative," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0166, Econometric Society.
- Thomas Doan & Robert B. Litterman & Christopher A. Sims, 1986.
"Forecasting and conditional projection using realistic prior distribution,"
93, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Thomas Doan & Robert B. Litterman & Christopher A. Sims, 1983. "Forecasting and Conditional Projection Using Realistic Prior Distributions," NBER Working Papers 1202, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Liang, Feng & Paulo, Rui & Molina, German & Clyde, Merlise A. & Berger, Jim O., 2008. "Mixtures of g Priors for Bayesian Variable Selection," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103, pages 410-423, March.
- J. Ghosh & Rahul Mukerjee, 1993. "Frequentist validity of highest posterior density regions in the multiparameter case," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 45(2), pages 293-302, June.
- Kapetanios, George, 2008. "Bootstrap-based tests for deterministic time-varying coefficients in regression models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 534-545, December.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Greenberg, Edward, 1995. "Hierarchical analysis of SUR models with extensions to correlated serial errors and time-varying parameter models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 339-360, August.
- Smith, Michael & Kohn, Robert, 1996.
"Nonparametric regression using Bayesian variable selection,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 317-343, December.
- Smith, M. & Kohn, R., . "Nonparametric Regression using Bayesian Variable Selection," Statistics Working Paper _009, Australian Graduate School of Management.
- Horowitz, Joel L & Spokoiny, Vladimir G, 2001. "An Adaptive, Rate-Optimal Test of a Parametric Mean-Regression Model against a Nonparametric Alternative," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(3), pages 599-631, May.
- Perron, Pierre & Zhu, Xiaokang, 2005. "Structural breaks with deterministic and stochastic trends," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 129(1-2), pages 65-119.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1996. " Multifactor Explanations of Asset Pricing Anomalies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 55-84, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.