The demand for energy of Italian households
AbstractThis paper studies the impact of demographic shifts, energy prices and climate factors on Italian households’ energy budget. The pattern of energy expenditure of Italian households is studied using the Italian Household Budget Survey. The expenditure for heating, private transport and electricity are jointly modelled and the relevant parameters are simulated under different scenarios. According to this exercise, the ageing of the Italian population - coupled with the increase in energy prices and surface temperature - could reduce the share of energy-related expenditure by about 2 percentage points in the next few decades and increase its polarization. Energy policies should take into consideration households’ characteristics and behaviour, and in turn the impact of this heterogeneity on the demand for energy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area in its series Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) with number 822.
Date of creation: Sep 2011
Date of revision:
household energy demand; demographics; climate change;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
- J11 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Demographic Trends, Macroeconomic Effects, and Forecasts
- Q41 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Demand and Supply
- Q47 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Energy Forecasting
- Q54 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Climate; Natural Disasters
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xavier Labandeira & Jose M. Labeaga & Miguel Rodriguez, 2004.
"Microsimulating the Effects of Household Energy Price Changes in Spain,"
0412001, EconWPA, revised 02 Dec 2004.
- Miguel Rodríguez & José M. Labeaga, 2004. "Microsimulating the Effects of Household Energy Price Changes in Spain," Working Papers 2004.161, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Xavier Labandeira & José M. Labeaga & Miguel Rodríguez, . "Microsimulating the Effects of Household Energy Price Changes in Spain," Studies on the Spanish Economy 196, FEDEA.
- Kurt Kratena & Ina Meyer & Michael Wüger, 2008. "Modelling the Energy Demand of Households in a Combined Top Down/Bottom Up Approach," WIFO Working Papers 321, WIFO.
- Banks, J & Blundell, R & Lewbel, A, 1997.
"Quadratic engel curves and consumer demand,"
Open Access publications from University College London
http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Jean-Marc Burniaux & Jean Chateau & Romain Duval & Stéphanie Jamet, 2008. "The Economics of Climate Change Mitigation: Policies and Options for the Future," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 658, OECD Publishing.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.