LÂ’introduzione dellÂ’euro e la divergenza tra infl azione rilevata e percepita
AbstractFollowing the introduction of euro banknotes and coins many Italians perceived a much sharper increase in the price level than the moderate rise registered by the National Institute of Statistics. The paper shows that the apparent contradiction between the publicÂ’s perceptions and officially measured inflation stems mainly from the fact that the former often refer to phenomena not captured by the inflation rate calculated for the average basket of goods and services for the whole population. The rise in perceived inflation can be largely explained by the generally stronger influence that large, upward, and frequently observed price movements exert on consumersÂ’ perceptions, together with the actual behaviour of prices in the period following the currency changeover, which saw many price changes, with larger increases for the more frequently purchased products and exceptional rises for some items. The reciprocal influence between inflation perceptions and the mediaÂ’s unusually extensive coverage of price developments on the occasion of the changeover also appears to have been important. Lastly, the perception of a substantial loss of purchasing power, especially on the part of the least-well-off households, can be traced to economic phenomena that do not bear directly on official inflation but which it is hard for households to consider separately, such as the evolution of incomes and increases in the price of housing, not included in the official index.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area in its series Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) with number 532.
Date of creation: Dec 2004
Date of revision:
inflazione; euro; percezioni;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- A14 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Sociology of Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Domenica J. Marchetti, 1999. "Markup and the Business Cycle: Evidence from Italian Manufacturing Branches," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 362, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Anthony B. Atkinson & Andrea Brandolini, 2000.
"Promise and Pitfalls in the Use of 'Secondary' Data-Sets: Income Inequality in OECD Countries,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
379, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Atkinson, A.B. & Brandolini, A., 2000. "Promise and Pitfalls in the Use of 'Secondary' Data -Sets: Income Inequality in OECD Countries," Papers 379, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Marchetti, D.J., 1999. "Markup and the Business Cycle: Evidence from Italian Manufacturing Branches," Papers 362, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Boeri, Tito & Brandolini, Andrea, 2005.
"The Age of Discontent: Italian Households at the Beginning of the Decade,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1530, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Tito Boeri & Andrea Brandolini, 2004. "The Age of Discontent: Italian Households at the Beginning of the Decade," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 63(3-4), pages 449-487, December.
- Lyziak, Tomasz, 2009.
"Measuring consumer inflation expectations in Europe and examining their forward-lookingness,"
18890, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tomasz Lyziak, 2010. "Measuring consumer inflation expectations in Europe and examining their forward-lookingness," IFC Bulletins chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), The IFC's contribution to the 57th ISI Session, Durban, August 2009, volume 33, pages 155-201 Bank for International Settlements.
- Wioletta Dziuda & Giovanni Mastrobuoni, 2009.
"The Euro Changeover and Its Effects on Price Transparency and Inflation,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(1), pages 101-129, 02.
- Giovanni Mastrobuoni & Wioletta Dziuda, 2005. "The Euro Changeover and its Effects on Price Transparency and Inflation," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 26, Collegio Carlo Alberto, revised 2006.
- Massimo Baldini, 2005. "Inflation inequality in Italy," Center for the Analysis of Public Policies (CAPP) 0008, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia Politica.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.