Errori di misura nellÂ’indagine sui bilanci delle famiglie italiane
AbstractThis paper is aimed at evaluating the incidence of measurement error on the main variables collected in the Bank of ItalyÂ’s Survey of Household Income and Wealth (SHIW). The results are especially relevant to researchers using the data for economic analysis, since they need to take data quality into account. Moreover, a thorough knowledge of the problems affecting the survey gives indications for improvements in its design and implementation. Where time-invariant variables are concerned, measurement error is studied by assessing the degree of inconsistency of answers given by panel households in subsequent survey waves. In the case of quantities that have an actual variation in time, such as income or wealth, the Heise (1969) model is applied; if data from at least three waves are available, we can separate the true dynamics from the noise of measurement error, under assumptions that are fairly mild. The essay also touches upon the role of fieldwork conditions, interviewer and respondent features in the determination of data quality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area in its series Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) with number 520.
Date of creation: Oct 2004
Date of revision:
reddito; ricchezza; metodi campionari;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J1 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics
- C42 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Survey Methods
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-01-24 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Domenica J. Marchetti, 1999. "Markup and the Business Cycle: Evidence from Italian Manufacturing Branches," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 362, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Atkinson, A.B. & Brandolini, A., 2000.
"Promise and Pitfalls in the Use of 'Secondary' Data -Sets: Income Inequality in OECD Countries,"
379, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Anthony B. Atkinson & Andrea Brandolini, 2000. "Promise and Pitfalls in the Use of 'Secondary' Data-Sets: Income Inequality in OECD Countries," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 379, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Marchetti, D.J., 1999. "Markup and the Business Cycle: Evidence from Italian Manufacturing Branches," Papers 362, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Angela Cipollone & Marcella Corsi & Carlo D'Ippoliti, 2011.
"Knowledge and Job Opportunities in a Gender Perspective: Insights from Italy,"
DULBEA Working Papers
11-02, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Angela Cipollone & Marcella Corsi & Carlo Dâ€™Ippoliti, 2011. "Knowledge and Job Opportunities in a Gender Perspective: Insights from Italy," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 58(5), pages 735-757, December.
- Angela Cipollone & Marcella Corsi & Carlo D'ippoliti, 2011. "Knowledge and Job Opportunities in a Gender Perspective: Insights from Italy," Working Papers CELEG 1103, Dipartimento di Economia e Finanza, LUISS Guido Carli.
- Tullio Jappelli & Mario Padula & Luigi Pistaferri, 2008.
"A Direct Test of The Buffer-Stock Model of Saving,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 6(6), pages 1186-1210, December.
- Tullio Jappelli & Mario Padula & Luigi Pistaferri, 2005. "A Direct Test of the Buffer-Stock Model of Saving," CSEF Working Papers 150, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Jappelli, Tullio & Padula, Mario & Pistaferri, Luigi, 2007. "A Direct Test of the Buffer Stock Model of Saving," CEPR Discussion Papers 6576, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jappelli, Tullio & Padula, Mario & Pistaferri, Luigi, 2007. "A direct test of the buffer-stock model of saving," CFS Working Paper Series 2007/29, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Luigi, Cannnari & Giovanni, D'Alessio, 2008. "Intergenerational Transfers in Italy," MPRA Paper 15111, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luigi Cannari & Giovanni D'Alessio & Romina Gambacorta, 2007.
"Capital gains and wealth distribution in Italy,"
IFC Bulletins chapters,
in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Proceedings of the IFC Conference on "Measuring the financial position of the household sector", Basel, 30-31 August 2006 - Volume 2, volume 26, pages 129-156
Bank for International Settlements.
- Shane Niall, OHiggins, 2006. "Still With us After all of These Years: Trends in Youth Labour Market Entry, Home-Leaving And Human Capital Accumulation in Italy 1993-2003," CELPE Discussion Papers 99, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Irving Fisher Committee, 2004. "The IFC's contribution to the 54th ISI Session, Berlin, August 2003," IFC Bulletins, Bank for International Settlements, number 17, October -.
- Michele Lalla & Davide Ferrari & Patrizio Frederic, 2012. "Unit nonresponse errors in income surveys: a case study," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 46(6), pages 1769-1794, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.