The tax burden on the banking sector: some methodological issues and assessments
AbstractThe paper considers several approaches to the measurement of firms’ tax burden in order to identify significant indicators for the banking sector. It also analyses features of tax provisions which are peculiar to the Italian system. On these bases, it looks at measures affecting the tax burden on the Italian banking system over the period 2000-09. Inter alia, the analysis shows the role played by the rules for a firm’s tax base and for tax relief and considers the increasing importance of deferred tax assets. The comparison between the Italian banking sector and those of other countries, in relation to commercial banks, shows that over the period 1998-2008 all jurisdictions experienced a reduction in both effective and statutory tax rates. Even if the tax burden on Italian banks has seen one of the largest reductions, this tax indicator is still the highest among the countries considered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area in its series Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) with number 80.
Date of creation: Dec 2010
Date of revision:
tax burden; banks;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- H25 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Business Taxes and Subsidies
- H87 - Public Economics - - Miscellaneous Issues - - - International Fiscal Issues; International Public Goods
- K34 - Law and Economics - - Other Substantive Areas of Law - - - Tax Law
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2010-12-18 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2010-12-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2010-12-18 (Banking)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Igor Kotlán & Zuzana Machová, 2012. "The Influence Of Corporate Taxation On Economic Growth: The Failure Of Tax Quota?," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2012(6), pages 743-763.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.