Measurement of capital stock and input services of Spanish banks
AbstractThis paper contains estimates of physical and intangible (information technology, advertising and training) capital stock, together with capital, labor and externally provided input services, of Spanish commercial and saving banks in the period 1983 to 2003. Capital stocks are valued at replacement costs and assets’ services flows are computed using estimates of the risk-adjusted user cost of capital. Replacement costs of assets are substantially higher than book values and economic estimates of costs of input services allow for more accurate measures of efficiency and productivity of banks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de Espa�a in its series Banco de Espa�a Working Papers with number 0711.
Length: 48 pages
Date of creation: May 2007
Date of revision:
Spanish banks; intangible assets; cost of capital services;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G31 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Capital Budgeting; Fixed Investment and Inventory Studies
- M41 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Accounting
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2007-05-19 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2007-05-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2007-05-19 (Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2007-05-19 (European Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2007-05-19 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank R. Lichtenberg, 1993. "The Output Contributions of Computer Equipment and Personnel: A Firm- Level Analysis," NBER Working Papers 4540, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward J. Green & Jose A. Lopez & Zhenyu Wang, 2003. "Formulating the imputed cost of equity capital for priced services at Federal Reserve banks," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Sep, pages 55-81.
- Zvi Griliches & Jacques Mairesse, 1984.
"Productivity and R&D at the Firm Level,"
in: R & D, Patents, and Productivity, pages 339-374
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berry, Heather & Sakakibara, Mariko, 2008. "Resource accumulation and overseas expansion by Japanese multinationals," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 277-302, February.
- Martín-Oliver, Alfredo & Salas-Fumás, Vicente, 2008.
"The output and profit contribution of information technology and advertising investments in banks,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 229-255, April.
- Alfredo Martín-Oliver & Vicente Salas-Fumas, 2007. "The output and profit contribution of information technology and advertising investments in banks," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0740, Banco de Espa�a.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mar�a Beiro. Electronic Dissemination of Information Unit. Research Department. Banco de Espa�a).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.