Pricing-to-market by Brazilian Exporters: a Panel Cointegration Approach
AbstractThis paper investigates Brazilian exporter's pricing behavior, over the longrun, following destination specific exchange rate shocks. The panel cointegration method of Bai, Kao and Ng (2009) is shown to identify the long-run parameter of interest. The method crucially depends on identification and controlling for the common trend in prices to different countries, a trend which is structurally interpreted, like originally proposed by Kneeter (1989), as the exporter's marginal cost. We find evidence of incomplete exchange-rate pass-through in the long-run, which supports the market structure explanations of Krugman (1986), known in the literature as pricing-to-market, over contending short-run sticky-price explanations. The degree of long-run pass-through is also shown to be positively related to technological intensity in the sector, a proxy for low elasticity of substitution of varieties.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department in its series Working Papers Series with number 270.
Date of creation: Mar 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.bcb.gov.br/?english
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sutherland, Alan, 2002.
"Incomplete Pass-Through and the Welfare Effects of Exchange Rate Variability,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3431, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sutherland, Alan, 2005. "Incomplete pass-through and the welfare effects of exchange rate variability," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 375-399, March.
- Alan Sutherland, 2002. "Incomplete Pass-Through and the Welfare Effects of Exchange Rate Variability," Discussion Paper Series, Department of Economics 200212, Department of Economics, University of St. Andrews.
- Andrew Atkeson & Ariel Burstein, 2008.
"Pricing-to-Market, Trade Costs, and International Relative Prices,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 98(5), pages 1998-2031, December.
- Andrew Atkeson & Ariel Burstein, 2008. "Pricing-to-market, trade costs, and international relative prices," Staff Report 404, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Andrew Atkeson & Ariel Burstein, 2007. "Pricing-to-market, trade costs, and international relative prices," Working Paper Series 2007-26, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2000.
"Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1504, Econometric Society.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2002. "Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 191-221, January.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2000. "Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 440, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Knetter, Michael M, 1989. "Price Discrimination by U.S. and German Exporters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 198-210, March.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Roberto Tedeschi, 2008. "Pricing-to-Market and Market Structure," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(2), pages 155-180, 04.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Hyungsik R. Moon, 1999.
"Linear Regression Limit Theory for Nonstationary Panel Data,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1222, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Hyungsik R. Moon, 1999. "Linear Regression Limit Theory for Nonstationary Panel Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1057-1112, September.
- Bai, Jushan & Kao, Chihwa & Ng, Serena, 2009.
"Panel cointegration with global stochastic trends,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 149(1), pages 82-99, April.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1996.
"Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?,"
NBER Working Papers
5862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1997. "Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1243-1272, September.
- Abdulnasser Hatemi-J & Manuchehr Irandoust, 2004. "Is Pricing to Market Behavior a Long-Run Phenomenon? A Non-Stationary Panel Analysis," Empirica, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 55-67, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benjamin Tabak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.