Loss Given Default: um estudo sobre perdas em operações prefixadas no mercado brasileiro
AbstractUsing data drawn from the Brazilian Central Bank Credit Information System (SCR), this paper investigates the loss incurred by financial institutions given clients defaults - Loss Given Default (LGD) - in Brazilian credit market from January 2003 to September 2007. According to Basel II, it is necessary to calculate LGD to evaluate credit risk in IRB Advanced approach. Selecting a sample of 9.557 non-retail credit operations, we calculate their LGD based on the opportunity cost incurred during the default period and on the principal loss. Other recovery costs were not taken into account. According to the results, the empirical probability distribution of LGD is bimodal, ranging on average between 47% and 92%. Using a Tobit model, we verified that variables related to economic activity level, collateral, exposure size and renegotiation influenced LGD behavior. Results were similar to Dermine and Carvalho (2006), Asarnow and Edwards (1995), Schuermann (2004) and Hurt and Felsovalyi (1998).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department in its series Working Papers Series with number 193.
Date of creation: Sep 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.bcb.gov.br/?english
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-09-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2009-09-19 (Banking)
- NEP-RMG-2009-09-19 (Risk Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Arnildo Da Silva Correa & Jaqueline Terra Moura Marins & Myrian Beatriz Eiras Das Neves & Antonio Carlos Magalhes Da Silva, 2014. "Credit Default And Business Cycles: Anempirical Investigation Of Brazilian Retail Loans," Anais do XL Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 40th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 028, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Arnildo da Silva Correa & Jaqueline Terra Moura Marins & Myrian Beatriz Eiras das Neves & Antonio Carlos Magalhães da Silva, 2011. "Credit Default and Business Cycles: an empirical investigation of Brazilian retail loans," Working Papers Series 260, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benjamin Tabak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.