When Is It Less Costly for Risky Firms to Borrow? Evidence from the Bank Risk-Taking Channel of Monetary Policy
AbstractIn an investigation of banks’ loan pricing policies in the United States over the past two decades, this study finds supporting evidence for the bank risk-taking channel of monetary policy. We show that banks charge lower spreads when they lend to riskier borrowers relative to the spreads they charge on loans to safer borrowers in periods of low short-term rates compared to periods of high short-term rates. The interest discount that banks offer riskier borrowers when short-term rates are low is robust to borrower-, loan-, and bank-specific factors as well as to macroeconomic factors known to affect loan rates. The discount is also robust to bank-firm fixed effects. Finally, our tests that build on the micro information banks provide on their lending standards in the Senior Loan Officers Opinion Survey suggest the interest rate discount that riskier borrowers receive when short-term rates are low is bank driven.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Canada in its series Working Papers with number 12-10.
Length: 54 pages
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 234 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0G9, Canada
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
Financial institutions; Monetary policy framework;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2012-03-21 (Banking)
- NEP-MON-2012-03-21 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996.
"A Survey of Corporate Governance,"
NBER Working Papers
5554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995. "A Survey of Corporate Governance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1741, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974.
"On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973. "On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates," Working papers 684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Yener Altunbas & Leonardo Gambacorta & David MarquÃ©s-IbÃ¡Ã±ez, 2009.
"Bank risk and monetary policy,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
712, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Bernanke, Ben S & Blinder, Alan S, 1992.
"The Federal Funds Rate and the Channels of Monetary Transmission,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 901-21, September.
- Ben Bernanke, 1990. "The Federal Funds Rate and the Channels of Monetary Transnission," NBER Working Papers 3487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Alan S. Blinder, 1989. "The federal funds rate and the channels of monetary transmission," Working Papers 89-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Isil Erel & Brandon Julio & Woojin Kim & Michael S. Weisbach, 2012.
"Macroeconomic Conditions and Capital Raising,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 25(2), pages 341-376.
- Erel, Isil & Julio, Brandon & Kim, Woojin & Weisbach, Michael S., 2010. "Macroeconomic Conditions and Capital Raising," SIFR Research Report Series 74, Institute for Financial Research, revised 26 Oct 2011.
- Isil Erel & Brandon Julio & Woojin Kim & Michael S. Weisbach, 2011. "Macroeconomic Conditions and Capital Raising," NBER Working Papers 16941, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Erel, Isil & Julio, Brandon & Kim, Woojin & Weisbach, Michael S., 2011. "Macroeconomic Conditions and Capital Raising," Working Paper Series 2011-9, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Hale, Galina & Santos, João A.C., 2009.
"Do banks price their informational monopoly?,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 185-206, August.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Monfort, Alain & Renault, Eric & Trognon, Alain, 1987. "Generalised residuals," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 5-32.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995.
"Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 27-48, Fall.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," NBER Working Papers 5146, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Angela Maddaloni, 2011.
"Bank Risk-taking, Securitization, Supervision, and Low Interest Rates: Evidence from the Euro-area and the U.S. Lending Standards,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 24(6), pages 2121-2165.
- Maddaloni, Angela & Peydró, José-Luis, 2010. "Bank risk-taking, securitization, supervision and low interest rates: Evidence from the euro area and the U.S. lending standards," Working Paper Series 1248, European Central Bank.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier, 2009. "Deciphering the Liquidity and Credit Crunch 2007-2008," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 23(1), pages 77-100, Winter.
- Berger, Allen N. & Udell, Gregory F., 1990.
"Collateral, loan quality and bank risk,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 21-42, January.
- Dell''Ariccia, Giovanni & Marquez, Robert, 2005.
"Lending Booms and Lending Standards,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5095, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stacey L. Schreft & Raymond E. Owens, 1991.
"Survey evidence of tighter credit conditions: what does it mean?,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Mar, pages 29-34.
- Stacey L. Schreft & Raymond E. Owens, 1991. "Survey evidence of tighter credit conditions: what does it mean?," Working Paper 91-05, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Ioannidou, V. & Ongena, S. & Peydro, J.L., 2009. "Monetary Policy, Risk-Taking, and Pricing: Evidence from a Quasi-Natural Experiment," Discussion Paper 2009-31 S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Gabriel Jiménez & Steven Ongena & José Luis Peydró & Jesús Saurina, 2009. "Hazardous times for monetary policy: What do twenty-three million bank loans say about the effects of monetary policy on credit risk-taking?," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0833, Banco de Espa�a.
- Jo�O A. C. Santos & Andrew Winton, 2008. "Bank Loans, Bonds, and Information Monopolies across the Business Cycle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(3), pages 1315-1359, 06.
- Roger E. A. Farmer, 2009. "Animal Spirits: How Human Psychology Drives the Economy, and Why it Matters for Global Capitalism," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 85(270), pages 357-358, 09.
- Diana Bonfim & Carla Soares, 2013. "Is there a risk-taking channel of monetary policy in Portugal?," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Itai Agur & Maria Demertzis, 2013.
"Leaning Against the Wind and the Timing of Monetary Policy,"
IMF Working Papers
13/86, International Monetary Fund.
- Agur, Itai & Demertzis, Maria, 2013. "“Leaning against the wind” and the timing of monetary policy," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 179-194.
- Itai Agur & Maria Demertzis, 2011. ""Leaning Against the Wind" and the Timing of Monetary Pollicy," DNB Working Papers 303, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.